Learn how to create a successful tech blog. Please understand that running this type of niche is one of the most financially rewarding niches you can ever think of.
Steps To Start A Tech Blog
To open a technology blog, you need start-up capital of approximately USD150-400; the steps are:
Step 1: Start A Tech News Blog
Starting as a tech news blogger gives you leverage and the right step into this industry. When you start with this approach and mix it with a specific niche, you stand a higher chance of long term success. The technology industry is a broad and highly diversified industry. You cannot be the Jack of all trade or else, you will become master of nothing.
When starting a tech website or blog, one critical factor of success you should know is your uniqueness. There are thousands of tech blogs and websites out there, do you want to flow and do the same things they are doing?
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
You will need to be different and be a brand; focus on a particular area in the tech niche. For example, I know of a highly successful owner (gsmarena.com), and all that the owner/publisher does is focussing on mobile phones and their specifications and sharing the latest news about them. Gsmarena is a leader in this category, highly respected by people and even the search engines ( especially Google).
So, in your own case, just pick a niche and build on that niche. Your ultimate success depends on the dedication, commitment, and seriousness you are going to invest in your chosen niche!!
So my advice is that you should not rush; sit down, pencil down your different goals/aspirations, write down the different niche that may come to your mind. After that, try and narrow them down, looking at your strength and what you really enjoy doing/writing about.
Step 2: Buy Technology WordPress Themes
You can create a technology blog using so many building software’s, however, from my own experience, none of them is as powerful, easy to use, and highly secured like WordPress themes.
In essence, I always recommend the use of WordPress themes to build a blog or website. WordPress themes are website templates or bog templates that are ready-made, built out of scratch, and are ready for use. All you have to do is to buy it (in most cases) and then install them.
Now, for a technology website, it is important you have a WordPress theme that has the following features:
- A mobile responsive ability: This means that you are not going to install any third party to turn the site to a mobile adaptive design; being responsive implies that the same design adapts and blends well on any viewing device, whether, laptop, palmtop, mobile viewing phones, etc. without the stress of scrolling up and down.
- Retina ready: This implies and means that it is sharp and crystal clear; giving you the ability to easily upload pictures, images and videos without stress
- SEO Ready: This is the main and pure advantage of WordPress themes; premium (purchased) templates are built with full search engine optimization features, enabling you to easily rank your tech blog in Google search engine pages (SERP).
For this purpose, I have listed out the following WordPress themes:
Recommended for a tech magazine and Blog
The above themes may not suit your style ( on most, you will just edit the contents to fit a technology niche), for this reason, you may check the following companies (I always deal with reputable companies) for more tech templates:
And sometimes, you may get a theme that is built for another niche e.g. newspaper, finance, etc.; but you can also use the theme for your own project by just editing the contents. After checking and viewing the demo of interest, you will need to make a purchase and download the file (ZIP files) on your computer. Make sure you do this first before we proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Buy Domain Name / Webhosting
One of the important steps to take when starting a technology blog and website is the domain registration. It is time for you to register your domain name; this is the second step of your determination in really launching out.
For your tech blog, a domain name is the name of your site, it is the brand that the internet and search engine recognizes. Without a domain name, you cannot have an identity on the World Wide Web.
When picking a name for this purpose, know the following rules;
- The domain name is the name of the site
- It should not be too lengthy; it should be a maximum of about 12 letter words, without hyphen or numbers
- The name should be in English, should be easy to remember and also to spell
Once you know the above guidelines, your next step is to check the various names you intend to use to find out if you can register them or whether it has been registered by someone else.
To do that, use the form below
If you are lucky to have a name that is available, I sincerely advise that you register it immediately, do not wait for tomorrow because if you do, you will discover that someone else has registered the name.
You are not the only one online trying to do this, so act fast by registering the domain name fast.
The best Webhost for a tech website and blog is Bluehost ( WordPress version). I recommended the use of Bluehost Webhosting Company for the domain name availability, checkup, and registration above; I am equally recommending the same company for the Webhosting of your technology blog and domain name.
Bluehost Webhosting Company is the number one recommended Webhosting Company for WordPress powered website, as being displayed on the main wordpress.org website, www.wordpress.org.
Bluehost handles all the hosting bottlenecks for you and your domain name registration and integration with hosting becomes easy and seamless.
Some of the reasons why hosting with Bluehost is preferable are:
- They are the best Webhosting company for a starter like you
- They have the best and fair pricing in this industry, you can get good hosting from USD3.5 per month
- They have the record for most uptime and zero downtime (only few Webhosting companies holds this record)
- They are reliable and they have 24 hours of customer support service; you can call them by phone and even through instant chat. This is critical as you are about to run a technology website and blog.
- Their platform is strong and secure; and most of their storage device has been upgraded to SSD instead of the old HDD
- When you host with them, you will not pay for the domain name registration again for one solid year etc.
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
For easy understanding, follow the hosting guidelines below;
After hosting (successful payment and processing), the next step is the installation of WordPress, step 4.
Step 4: Make Tech Website ( Install WordPress)
Everything we are doing in this tutorial is dependent on WordPress; when building a technology website and blog, it is important for us to install the software and activate it on your newly registered server (Webhosting server provided by Bluehost).
To do this is easy, Bluehost does all these for you, just follow the online instructions and proceed; follow the image guidelines below:
A confirmation of the successful installation is that you will be brought to what is called the WordPress dashboard as shown below (you will no longer be present on Bluehost website)
The WordPress dashboard is the engine workshop of your site and it is from here, we are going to start building the site/blog and also it is from here you are going to be writing and posting your tech blog posts.
Few things to keep in mind:
- Do not forget the domain name of your tech blog
- Anytime you want to edit the blog or post any contents (news, articles, videos, etc.), you will do it through the WordPress dashboard
- To do that, you will need to login to the dashboard and the WordPress Login URL address is in this format; yourblogname.com/wp-admin/
- If you type the above on a browser, the image below will show on your screen;
- Now, you will need username and password; username is either admin or your email address you used in registering your account on Bluehost. The password is done when installing the software.
If you understand the above and you are able to follow this guideline, logged in and see your dashboard, you are golden and we can then proceed to the next step (which is the main stage).
Step 5: Tech Blog Setup
I will be making use of the template below for this practical teaching; the following points will be discussed.
Please know that some theme providers like StudioPress have a complete and separate set up instructions for each of their templates. After buying their themes, just log to your account there in Studiopress (My account) and go to set up, there, you will find instructions on how to set up each theme perfectly).
- Upload/Installation of the template/themes you bought
- Leveraging on the demo by uploading and importing demo contents
- How to adjust and edit the header, footer and Logo
- Fixing your menu properly
- Permalinks Adjustment
- WordPress Plugins – Introduction and installation of essential ones
- How to create /edit pages and categories
- FrontPage Settings and arrangement
- Power of the widget and how to use it
- Contact page creation ( Including the form)
Step 5 (1)
Upload/Installation of the template/themes you bought
Without wasting time, if you have bought the theme, go to where you bought it from and download the WordPress file on your computer or laptop.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and if you are there already, simply proceed to the next stage.
- Locate themes in appearance and from themes, click on add new themes and on the page presented to you as shown below.
- Click on the upload box, locate where you kept the file you have downloaded.
- Upload this file (it is mostly in ZIP file), click on install and activate. It will be done within 100 minutes.
Step 5 (2)
Leveraging on the demo by uploading and importing demo contents
You will quickly discover that after installing the theme, the blog or site looks empty and you may become discouraged. Don’t be.
The reason is because it is a brand new blog and you are yet to start uploading contents/arranging it.
That is why I always advise on the use of uploading and importing the demo contents from the purchased WordPress themes/templates you have just installed.
Uploading and importing the demo gives you a quick and faster way to set up the site quickly; all you have to do after uploading the demo is editing certain elements and adjusting to yours.
If you prefer this step, then follow the guidelines below:
You will need to follow two steps:
- Go to the WordPress file (the template you bought) you downloaded, you will need to check inside the file (probably by unzipping the file) and locate the demo or a file called XML. This file is the demo file;
- Get the import plugin; go to tools on the left-hand side of the dashboard, from the tools, click on import. On the import page, click on last option to install the import plugin
- Follow the online screen instructions, install and activate the plugin (the plugin is just going to be used temporarily for this demo upload, after using it, delete and remove the plugin from the repository).
- After the plugin is installed and successfully activated, use it to upload and import the demo
- Follow the screen instructions, then upload the demo; it will be done within 5-15 minutes (depending on how heavy the contents are).
- The advantage of using the demo is that your site now looks like the purchased template (though some pictures may be missing, do not worry, you can fix this by adding/uploading them manually).
Step 5 (3)
How to adjust and edit the header, footer, and Logo
From the theme image above (the template I am using), the definition and description of the header and footer are shown;
From the image above, you can simply edit the header and footer to contain your information; to do this, go to:
- Theme options
- Widget Settings
Inside the header, you will see the logo, description, and the menu; by going to the above-mentioned points, you can simply edit and change the details.
At the theme options (present on the dashboard, though optional, not present in all themes), you will see the link to edit the header, etc.
The same thing is also applicable to the footer; you edit the footer by going to the theme options.
Another vital area in terms of editing is the widget. The image below is the look of the widget.
From the widget, you can edit your footer, header, and even the logo, just pay a visit to the widget and instructions for all these actions are stated there.
Because the footer is made up of placed pages, to edit them, you may need to go to the page settings area and effect desired changes. You go to page settings area by going to page (visible on the dashboard or just before the appearance), click on it and you will be shown the settings area.
Step 5 (4)
Fixing your menu properly
The menu is part of the header (as shown below) and it is the most important and lucrative element that you need to maximize to gain immediate conversions.
As can be seen from the image above, you just need to edit the menu and insert your own elements (page or category) in it.
In most cases, when building a technology blog and website, the menu should simply contain important pages and categories to important areas on the site.
Before editing a menu, I advise that some pages and categories should have been ready and published (read below on how to create a page and category).
Now, to edit a menu, follow these steps;
- Still, inside your dashboard, locate the menu
- You will find the menu icon inside the ‘appearance’ link in the dashboard, click on it and you will be brought to the menu settings page as shown below
Edit the menu settings you see there, and the easiest way to know what to do is by spying on your competitor or any successful technology blog out there.
Study the model of their menu structure and the elements they have inside the menu, from there, you will have an idea of the exact steps and elements you need for your own site.
Step 5 (5)
Have you wonder why some URL looks funny i.e. www.myblogname.com/php1 or www.myblogname.com/p3 or www.myblogname.com/2018/03/16/samsungs8-specifications/; the best URL structure should have been www.myblogname.com/samsungs8-specifications/.
All these are examples of what is called a permalink structure URL. However, this is not the best in terms of SEO, and the unfortunate aspect is that these settings are usually the default/original URL structure, so to reset it, we need to adjust to a more search engine URL structure.
To do that, follow the image guidelines below:
- Locate permalinks from the settings on the dashboard, click on the settings and you will see permalinks, click on permalinks, and on the permalinks settings page, change the present structure to a name-based URL structure.
- Click Save.
The image below will explain better.
Step 5 (6)
WordPress plugins powers a WordPress website or blog to its maximum and full efficiency; without a WordPress plugin, a blog will not function maximally.
Instead of writing codes to build the site or the use of programming languages, WordPress plugins are used instead. WordPress plugins make a nobody become somebody because it empowers them to create and build their own site without depending on anybody or web designer.
The following are plugins you need to install to get the best out of your tech blog or site;
- Yoast SEO plugin: Yoast SEO plugin is a powerful and essential plugin you MUST have and installed on your blog. It will help you handle and solve all minor SEO problems.
- W3 Total Cache: If you want your blog to be exceptionally fast, this plugin is what you need. W3 Total Cache powers a site to fly like a jet bomber.
- Akismet Plugin: it helps you to stop and block all forms of malicious attacks, including spams.
- Jetpack plugin: A must-have plugin, very important.
- Sumo plugin: You want a responsive social media icons for sharing and joining, then this is the best social media sharing plugin I can recommend. It even makes it possible to have the sharing buttons either in a vertical or horizontal position.
- Smush Plugin: With this plugin, you can reduce the size of each image on the site. Very essential if you are going to be uploading lots of pictures and images.
- Real-Time Chat Plugin: This plugin turns your site into an instant messaging platform. You will be able to chat with visitors in real-time. I recommend this plugin if you will be offering services/consultancy to clients and visitors on the blog.
To install these plugins,
Follow the guidelines and instructions as displayed on the image below:
Step 5 (7)
How to create /edit pages and categories
Pages are important; they are needed to create your menus, your footer settings, and also in other areas.
The following are the basic pages you need to have:
- Disclosure Page
- Contact Page
First, you need to check your page settings area as shown below;
To create a page ( if you do not have a particular page, of course, you should have checked the page settings area if you made use of the demo upload), follow the image guideline abode.
Each published content/post of a tech blog falls in a category; for example, an article about ‘Apple gadgets, etc.’ should fall under ‘Apple’ category;
Categorizing your tech blog makes it easy for search engines and human visitors to easily and quickly get what they are looking for.
Go to your category settings area and edit/create new categories;
Step 5 (8)
For the FrontPage settings and use of the widget, I recommend you check out my earlier post where I explained everything in full detail. You can read them in this post ( news online).
Step 5 (9)
Contact page creation (Including the form)
The creation of a contact page is very much different from the way you create and publish a normal page.
The first thing you need to do is to check the page settings area whether you have a contact page already (remember that we made use of the imported demo, so there is every possibility that the contact page is also imported).
If you have one, then click on it and edit the information to yours. Again, if there is a contact form present, just click on the form and edit the details to you (especially the email for the receiver).
However, if there is none and you need to create your own contact page with the form, then follow the steps below:
- Create a new page, give it the title as ‘contact’ and publish it.
- Now you need to insert the contact form, to start with this, you will need to activate the JetPack plugin I earlier told you to install it. After installing it, you will be asked to activate it and you will do so by linking it a free wordpress.com account. Once linked together, you will be brought back to your site.
- Once you successfully activate your JetPack plugin, the contact form becomes automatically present in all posts/pages ( you will see it when in edit mode). The image below is a practical explanation.
Step 6: Publish Tech Articles
Publishing a blog post on a technology blog and website is very much easy like a, b, c; however, if you are new, then I recommend you study the image above.
After making and opening your technology blog and website and it is online, it is now time for you to take your business seriously and keep the blog safe by maintaining it. The following are tasks you need to do:
- Keeping and making sure that your blog posts are kept up to date.
- Updating your WordPress software versions, WordPress themes, and the WordPress plugins
The most important aspect is the updating of the WordPress versions, the installed themes, and the plugins.
To handle the update, there will be a notification of the availability, it will be shown on the dashboard and you just have to click on the update.
For the blog posts, you have to make sure that your blog posts are up to date and current. For example, when you publish an article on samsungS8, you need to check and follow updates and trends about the product and always try to update your published posts.
Google Search Console Indexing
For a tech blog and website, your success depends greatly on the search engines (Google and Bing, but Google is the main focus).
So, after setting up the site, you will need to get registered for free and submit your site to Google for indexing purposes so that it can appear on the search result pages.
- Go to google.com/console ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/) and sign up for a free account (I suggest you use a free and new Gmail email address).
- Follow the screen instructions and submit the URL address of the blog; you will be asked to verify the site.
- Or you can simply make use of Yoast SEO plugin ( ( https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/)) for verification purpose.
- Once it is successful, you will need to submit your site URL and also submit the sitemap of your blog, as shown below.
The Yoast SEO plugin will do and handle all these stuffs for you (you can use the plugin to create your sitemap).
If you have any problem, just reach out to me.
SEO- Basic Steps to search engine optimization
When you are about to start a tech blog and website, you have to put into focus what is called SEO ( Search engine optimization). If your tech blog is not fully SEO insured, my fear is that you will not rank very well on Google search engine result pages.
As earlier mentioned, SEO means search engine optimization, and setting your blog to the standard SEO format is a MUST if you truly desire organic traffic from Google and other search engines.
The following steps are required to set up your tech blog for SEO (this is just the basic SEO needs)
- Install the Yoast SEO plugin (I told you this earlier).
- From these settings, you can set up your meta description, meta description, create your sitemaps, etc.
- Watch the tutorial video from the Yoast SEO homepage.
The next step is the promotion and how to actually make your technology blog becomes successful.
How To Promote A Tech Blog and Website
The type of Tech blog posts that brings success
There are many areas you can decide to focus on when running a technology blog and website. You may decide to run a news website on technology or simply run an authority site or even integrate both the news and authority site together just the way Huffington post does theirs.
It all depends on you.
However, you have to follow the same standard rules and protocols if you aim for success.
The following are the type of blog posts you should publish on your blog:
- Write an exceptionally, high-quality blog posts or article
- The article should have a word count range from 1000 upward
- Each post/article should have at least 2 images and a video just like the way this present article is.
- Endeavor and make sure that the blog posts are unique, free of errors, not duplicate contents and they are free of plagiarism.
- If you are publishing news content, do not copy the news story from other sources; simply rewrite the story in your own handwritten English language before publishing.
Just study the most successful technology blogs, you will discover that their posts are lengthy with full pictures and images. That is the kind of posts you should focus on!!
The search engines love fresh, unique, and well-detailed blog posts; so focus on these features and implement the above tips.
The use of guest posting for dofollow backlinks
What is guest posting and how does it relate to this task?
Guest posting is a powerful concept of getting backlinks and it is one of the most influential and strategic ways of getting backlinks without incurring the wrath of Google penalty. It is an act of simply publishing quality posts on other blogs/sites with the aim of getting backlinks from them.
To have a headway, draft out plan on how to use guest posting to get not less than 20 strong dofollow backlinks. I personally advise that you do this immediately you launch the site.
Outsource the guest posting task.
Just outsource it and you focus on creating content for your own blog. The best way is to get in touch with professional freelance writers, discuss with them, and let them handle this project for you. If you have the money, you can set aside the sum of USD1000 to complete this task.
Trust me, you will not regret it!!
Promoting new site on Facebook Groups, Google+ Communities and LinkedIn groups
People often join social media network websites e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google +, and just start posting their contents there.
Well, this method hardly works very well again.
One thing they forgot or do not know about is the use of the communities around these social media sites.
- For example, for Facebook, search for and join related groups on technology/mobile phones/internet etc.
- For Google+. Search for related communities and join them.
- Do the same thing with LinkedIn and also for twitter.
This concept is more powerful than just joining the social media; it has been proven to give you more traffic than simply relying on just your shared posts to your friends and colleagues.
Join the various groups, communities; complete and update your profile on each, get active by engaging in discussion and comment, etc.; request for access to share your content to the administrator, and once accepted, start sharing your posts.
This technique works very well if you are starting a technology blog and website and aims to get traffic!!
Ask any blogger out there, they will tell you about the power of blog commenting and how they have used it to gain traffic and exposure for their site and blog.
For a new technology blog and website, you need to network and start spreading the news about your project to the entire world. The best, fastest, and most economically free way to get this done is using blog commenting strategies.
It is very simple to do and handle.
Simply search and look for technology blogs using Google search, visit them, read their blog posts, and write meaningful comments on the post contents.
Remember to insert the URL address of your site to the comment area.
For example, I used blog commenting to drive enormous traffic to one of my blogs I launched in 2016, and to my amazement, I started getting organic traffic from Google the same month.
How to make money with a technology website blog
As earlier mentioned, running a technology blog is one of the best and most financially rewarding niches as at today.
You stand to make lots of money running CPC program ( Google AdSense), affiliate marketing, and even direct marketing than any other sector ( finance and medical niches fare better than it in some cases.
The following are a summary of ways you can make money from this niche:
- Running CPC program ( e.g. Google AdSense)
- Affiliate Marketing
- Direct marketing
Step 14 (1)
Running CPC program (e.g. Google AdSense)
CPC program means the Cost per click program and it is the most popular monetization program for a site or blog.
The most popular CPC program is Google AdSense and it is used by all tech blogs out there. The CTR for this niche is high compared to ordinary niches and that is why this niche is a hot cake when it comes to making money and online revenue.
To use Google AdSense on your new blog/site, you should:
- Have a fully functioning site.
- Have the privacy, DMCA, Disclosure, and terms of service pages all published and they must show in a visible place (probably in the footer).
- To open an account with Google AdSense and their requirements, check out google.com/adsense/
Step 14 (2)
Affiliate marketing is one of the most lucrative and best ways to make good money (lots of money in 6 digits) on a site.
It works by displaying products, items, and even promotions on your site and when they are bought or purchased, you get a commission.
The best and most reliable affiliate company you can join (from my own experience) are:
No matter where you in the world, e.g. India, China, Nigeria, Mexico, Ghana, Philippines, etc.; you will get your money/earnings either through:
- Payoneer payment
Step 14 (3)
Direct marketing offers you the privilege of actually making the sort of earnings/revenue that will give you peace of mind.
However, the challenge is that your site/blog should be a highly authoritative place with high domain authority (DA).
Again, you will need to start contacting companies, organizations, and brands directly either through email or physically to get their attention.
Trust me, if you are able to get attention from a telecom company for example and you are able to sign a contract, then your pains are gone forever.
Nothing good is easy, so, you have to keep on working hard and trying!!
Starting a tech website and technology blog is a good step in the right direction when it comes to making money online. I hope this teaching has been informative and helpful to you. If it is, I need your help;
- Please link to this article
- Share it on Twitter and Facebook
- Bookmark on your browser.
- Spread and tell your friends and colleagues about this tutorial, it may be helpful to them also.
NB: need any help, just reach out to me.