This is a comprehensive tutorial on how to build and create a one page website for a resume or Curriculum vitae (CV). This is the latest trend of having your details online on your site with its full URL address.
To make and build a one page website for your CV and resume online, you need;
- Approximate set up cost of USD90-200
- A mobile responsive WordPress themes
- Domain name (your name is preferred)
- An economically friendly webhosting (USD3.5 per month Bluehost hosting is recommended)
- Professionally written and deeply convincing details
Companies, organizations and corporate bodies that are interested in you can simply go online, view your resume and download it for their use. This is far better than sending the hard copies of your details online.
This approach is cost effective, efficient and it helps you easily get rid of paper works.
Table of Contents
- Purchase of a mobile responsive one-page WordPress themes
- Domain name acquisition and registration
- Economically friendly webhosting for the right server
- Installation of WordPress software
- Practical set up guidelines with videos and pictures ( MUST READ)
- Required maintenance of the site
- Getting the site indexed in Google search console
Purchase of a mobile responsive one-page WordPress themes
This is the first step towards the actualization of the project. There are different ways to design and set up a site, however, it is either they are very expensive, time consuming and unreliable. Again, you are at the mercy of the fellow that designed the site.
This is the more reason why I always advocate the use of WordPress software, accompanying WordPress themes and plugins.
With a premium WordPress themes, you can easily set up your CV website without depending on any third party help or any programmer.
WordPress themes are templates built specially and ready-made for any purpose and task you need them for.
In addition, most WordPress themes are mobile responsive and retina ready; this means that they are mobile friendly when viewed on any device. This is a major requirement because recruitment companies, agencies that wants to view your profile does these mostly from their mobile phones and internet gadgets, and not necessarily from their PC/desktop computers.
Examples of WordPress themes /templates that are one-page and built specifically for a CV (Curriculum vitae) or resume are listed below:
Most of these themes and others like them can be obtained at the following companies (please note that these companies are respected companies, I use them and I am recommending their services)
Go through the various listed themes/templates until you get the one that will suit and fit your perfect type of resume.
It is not free, you need to make a purchase; the cost ranges from around USD15-45. After the purchase, download the WordPress file (ZIP file) on your computer or PC.
Continue reading, the tutorial is lengthy but it contains everything you need to set it up perfectly.
Domain name acquisition and registration
The domain name is your identity on the net, without a domain name, such a site or blog cannot even exist or be known on the internet.
Every site or blog in this world have a domain name, so, with this project, you need to also have a domain name.
However, in your own case, since it is your curriculum vitae, it makes sense and requires wisdom that you make use of your name as your domain name.
- The website name, Google has a domain name; google.com, google.co.za, google.ca, google.fr etc.
- The website name, Facebook, has a domain name: facebook.com
- The website name, YouTube, has a domain name : youtube.com
So, let us assume that your name is Trump Chow Zulu; you can make your domain name to be:
- trumpzulu.co.za etc.
With this concept in mind, it becomes easy for any recruitment agency to easily identify and figure you out and it also becomes easy for Google (and other search engines) to crawl, index and identify with you.
However, you still need to check if the name can be registered or is not available at all; to do that, I recommend the use of Bluehost Webhosting Company real time domain name checker form below:
If the domain name is free and available for you to register and use, you will see the confirmation, and from here, you can proceed with the registration.
This brings us to the next and level of getting a web server to host the domain name and the contents you are going to upload in it.
Economically friendly webhosting for the right server
Because it is a one page website, the cost of hosting is minimally low. However, the most important thing is reliability and having the site online 24 hours non – stop.
This is why the choice of the right webhosting company is very much important, do not host your site with an unreliable host that will make your site to always be offline or down.
To host means you are buying a space on a web server, in your own case, it is recommended to buy a shared server hosting because you are hosting just a page (i.e. just a single webpage). Doing this makes the domain name and the contents to be available on the internet and people will be able to see and access it.
- The only reliable webhosting company I know and I have been their customer for more than 8 years is Bluehost. I recommend them to you and you are sure of getting:
- A reliable hosting experience with zero downtime record and 99.99% uptime record
- Bluehost Webhosting Company has an excellent 24 hours customer support services; offering support with email, phone calls, direct office contact and even with instant chat messaging features (real time instant messaging platform).
- On Bluehost Webhosting Company, you get a custom email address i.e. trump@ trumpchowzuluresume.com or chow@ trumpchowzuluresume.com (they are just examples for your understanding and knowledge).
I recommend you purchase the USD3.5 per month hosting package and you stand to gain lots of benefits, including the fact that the payment for the domain name becomes free (saving you additional USD18).
For the registration and guidelines, follow the image instruction below;
During the hosting, take note of your Bluehost login credentials, which is your username (it is your domain name) and password (created as you are registering for the hosting).
The next step is the installation and activation of the WordPress software on the new shared server. That brings us to the next step.
Installation of WordPress software
Immediately after the successful hosting payment and instructional set up, the next step is the installation of the WordPress software that will power the site.
This is being done real time (automatically instantly) and you will be shown the option to either allow the installation of WordPress or not (as shown in the image below).
- Click on the option to install WordPress ( W, Logo)
- Once it runs successfully, you will be shown and brought to the WordPress dashboard (as shown below).
- Once you are here, it means your website is totally installed and we are half done with the task of actually seeing your site live.
- Now, in the dashboard, you will see ‘launch your site ‘now etc.
- Hold on, do not launch it, until you have put everything in proper place, and that also brings to the next important step which is the main practical set up and configuration activities.
Now, you need to observe and keep record of the WordPress login details. Anytime you want to login to your WordPress, you will no longer go to Bluehost again. You will go to the WordPress login address, which is in this way, www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin/ , after typing this on your browser, you will see the image below:
Now, you will need your login details, your username in this case is your email address (or the word ‘admin’) and the password is also created during the installation of the software.
Please, take note of this.
Practical set up guidelines with videos and pictures
Now, that you have bought the WordPress themes for your CV and resume website, the step talks about uploading and installing this template/template and fixing all other needed configurations.
The following points will be discussed:
- How to upload and install the purchased template.
- How to import and upload the demo content- Importance of using the demo for set up purposes.
- Arranging and editing the header, footer and the logo
- The menu arrangement.
- Essential WordPress plugins to install and activate
- Setting up the mobile responsive contact form
Step 5 (1)
How to upload and install the purchased template.
It is not something difficult to achieve this particular feat and step. All that is required is uploading the template (WordPress themes) for the CV website design on the server.
If you have the themes, you can proceed below and if not, you need to go and get the resume WordPress themes as listed above.
Follow the steps below:
- If you already logged in (in the dashboard already), just identify themes, search for ‘add new themes’, go to the upload box, click on it, locate the WordPress files you bought and have downloaded on the PC, upload it
- Click on install and after successful installation, click on ‘activate’
- The new design is now activated and it will showing live
- However, it may look rough, scanty and somehow blank, do not get discouraged because you are just setting it up
- The next step is uploading the demo so that it will look just like the template/themes you purchased.
Step 5 (2)
How to import and upload the demo content
To upload the demo contents, you need to first understand and read/check the manual instruction from where you bought the template/WordPress themes from.
This is because various website template companies have different guidelines to upload and install the demo.
However, the following are general approach to importing and uploading the demo contents:
- You need to first unzip the template you bought and already downloaded on your PC/laptop
- Check inside and set aside the demo file or any file ending with .xml extension
- Install import plugin; you do this by going to tools, to import, to import plugin for WordPress
- Install and activate the plugin
- Run the plugin and the plugin will try to locate file to import, use the plugin to import the demo file or the .xml file
- Run it and transfer all rights to the administrator (which is you); within some few minutes, the importation and upload of the demo contents will be completed.
Step 5 (3)
Arranging and editing the header, footer and the logo
The image below (example of the CV WordPress themes I am using for this teaching) explains the header, footer and the logo.
From the image above, you will see that the header is very important and it covers the entire area of the top (including the logo) and the menu.
For the header, you can adjust, edit and create:
- The logo
- The menu
The instructions to edit or create a new header is:
- In the instructional manual from the company you bought the themes from (it is optional) or
- From theme options/panel: (present on the dashboard, around the appearance, however, this feature is not present on all themes) or
- The widgets: the image of the widget is shown below:
- From The widget, you can carry out all task and editing required on the site, just be attentive and study to observe the links and instructions stated there.
- You can edit the logo, the header and the footer all from the widget.
If you need assistance, just reach out to me.
Step 5 (4)
The Menu Arrangement
The menu (image describing the menu is shown below):
You can arrange the menu the way you want it or simply leave it the way the imported demo you are currently using looks like.
However, to edit a menu, do this;
- Go to the menu settings page (go to appearance, and click on the menu icon there)
- On the settings page as shown below: You can start adjusting by replacing pages, categories etc.
- You do this by moving elements (these pages and categories) from the left hand side to the right hand side.
Step 5 (5)
Essential WordPress plugins to install and activate
The design and set up of your site all depends on the WordPress software we are using. Though, WordPress is the world’s best site building software and also the world’s best content management system.
However, WordPress does not work alone; it has supporting tools that works along with it. They are:
- WordPress themes (the template you bought and we have installed it already)
- WordPress plugins: These are hooks written to replace the stress of writing programming codes i.e. html, php etc. We use WordPress plugins for a task that we are unable to write the programming code for.
That is why the use of WordPress is so popular that even an ordinary person can simply build a website without stress.
So, in this step, there are important plugins (WordPress plugins) that are crucial and essential for you to install on your site for it to function optimally, effectively and excellently.
The plugins are listed below:
- Team Yoast SEO: Good for search engine optimization; though for your niche you do not need to worry about SEO (search engine optimization).
- W3 Total Cache: I recommend you install this plugin; it helps to boost and make the site to load very fast either on mobile phones or on the web browser.
- Akismet Plugin. One of the most popular plugin out there. It effectively stops and kills spam. Helps to secure your site.
- Jetpack plugin: Very important plugin, do not miss installing it.
- Sumo plugin: Good for your social media efforts; it helps make your sharing buttons i.e Facebook, twitter, Instagram buttons to become responsive and easy to share. Highly recommended.
- Smush Plugin: If you feel the image you want to upload is heavy, you can install this plugin, it helps to reduce the file size of pictures effectively.
The installation and activation of these plugins is very much easy if you follow the listed steps and instructions;
Login to your dashboard i.e. http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/ using your username and password.
Once inside the dashboard, search and locate plugin, click on add new plugin
Go to the search box by the right hand side, type the name of the plugin you want to install inside e.g. ‘Team Yoast SEO’.
Click on install and after the theme is installed; after it, then click on ‘activate
Step 5 (6)
Setting up the mobile responsive contact form
I explained from the beginning the importance of a mobile responsive design. If a template or design is mobile responsive, it simply means and implies that the design can:
- Be accessed from any viewing device perfectly
- Either from palmtop, PC, laptop, any android phone, iPhone etc.; the design changes and adapt to the viewing dimension and screen of the device with perfect font size and you not have to scroll left and right or up and down to read the contents.
- In addition, the content does not pixelate or become distort
This is the perfect explanation on the concept of a mobile responsive concept. Your design needs to be mobile responsive because most people uses their mobile phone to surf the net much more than a PC, desktop or even laptop in this modern day.
You should be able to have a contact form that makes it easy for people to even reach you right from the comfort of their mobile phones.
And because we have uploaded the demo content, you should have the contact page with the form already published.
- To check if it is there, go to the page settings area and look for contact, if it is there, just click to view it.
- If it is perfectly okay, you simply need to edit the receiver email so that you will be getting email and responses back in your own email address.
- Click on the edit link and make the necessary corrections.
However, if there is no contact page at all, you will need to create yours and doing this is not difficult. To start, publish and create a new page with the title, ‘contact’.
After this, go to the JetPack plugin, link it with a free wordpress.com account ( you will be notified to activate it and you do this by linking it together). After this, you will be redirected back to your site page. The contact form is present in the link at the top of the editable contact page as seen below.
Step 5 (7)
How to upload images, pictures and video
On some CV or resume website templates, you may need to upload your picture in the FrontPage.
Thank you for reading this tutorial, I hope you are able to understand and use it to build and create your CV site. If you need any help and assistance, just reach out to me.
I decided not to write details about SEO and how to get indexed in Google for this project because I think you do not need it. but if you think you need it, you can read further about that in this post.
In addition, if you love this article/tutorial, please, I kindly ask for your help by;
- Sharing it on Facebook, twitter and Google+
- Linking back to it from your own blog and websites also
- Bookmarking it on your web browser and also on your mobile phone