You can learn how to make a personal finance blog through this tutorial. This teaching is a pure practical demonstration of how you can create and start a highly successful financial and investment/portfolio website.
These are the steps to make a personal finance blog and website;
- Your unmatched knowledge about this niche
- The total setup cost of USD150-USD475
- WordPress themes that are mobile responsive (adaptive)
- Excellent Webhosting server that gives reliability
- WordPress software – Installation and set up
Personal Finance WordPress themes
Creating A Personal Finance Blog ( Domain Registration)
The next step now is the registration of a domain name that will be used as the brand name of the website.
This step is very important because once you start with the choice of your domain name, it is difficult to change because of the brand and awareness already associated with it.
Lots of popular finance blogs and websites like to include the keyword or money phrase word in the choice of their domain name. e.g. moneymarket.com
For you, just think of a very good name:
- Will be your brand
- That people have already known you with
- will be memorable and short to pronounce
- is not more than 12 letter word count.
After this, you need to check and confirm the availability of the name whether it can be registered and owned or whether someone/or other business is already using it.
The domain name checker form below is a real-time application that can be used for this exercise;
Use the form above to check for the choice of your domain. E.g. moneydaily.com, howtoinvest.co.uk, financedaily.com, mydailyfinance.com, debtsolution.com etc.
If the name you want is available, then we move to the next step which is the hosting of the available domain name.
Web hosting is a simple task and not complicated as some people may want you to feel. To host your personal finance blog or investment website means you are having the right to have your domain name and contents present on the World Wide Web.
Everything is now advanced and as such, you do not have to worry about all the technical kinds of stuff of trying to get a web hosting server.
Bluehost Webhosting Company is number one in reliable hosting. It is first among its peers and everything is done automatically in the background for you.
Once you chose the perfect WordPress themes design, obtain the domain name registration, the next step is to simply host these two along with the contents you are going to upload.
To build a personal finance blog and host it, I always recommend Bluehost Webhosting Company for some of the following reasons;
- For more than 8 years that I have been with them, my experience has been that of a satisfied client and I am very much pleased with their services
- Their price is fair among its peers in the industry; for a new investment or portfolio website or even blog, you can get a hosting package from USD3.5 per month. You get the same service with other web hosts who charges you USD25 per month (no difference at all forget, about all the technical grammar they may be saying to confuse you).
- Bluehost boast of actual 24 hours customer support services and they can be reached through all available channels from anywhere you are in the world.
- They have free features, including free email services e.g. email@example.com, etc.
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
The domain name registration and hosting happen simultaneously at the same time, so I recommend you host the site.
Follow the guidelines below to implement and complete the Webhosting process;
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
After completing the hosting, the next step is the installation of WordPress software on the server (webspace) you just bought, then after that, we start the whole configuration and set up processes. All these processes are not technical at all, just follow my teachings and guidelines below.
WordPress software installation
WordPress is open-source software, powering more than 85% of websites and blogs globally as at now.
In building a personal finance blog, all that we are doing is dependent on this software and this step is where we are going to install the software and get everything working together.
Follow the guidelines below to install the software:
- Immediately after the purchase of the hosting packages and the confirmation 6f 5
- An option will be presented to you by Bluehost on whether you want to install WordPress on the server.
- Accept the option by clicking on the logo, to begin with, the installation
- After approximately 5 minutes maximum, the installation will be completed and the WordPress dashboard will open next as seen below
If you can see the dashboard (above), then it means the installation is successful and you can now start the overall building of the site.
- Remember your domain name and do not forget it: yourdomainname.com
- Remember the URL address of the site or blog: http://www.yourdomainname.com
- Remember the WordPress login to access your site: http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin/
- Whenever you type the above WordPress login URL on the browser, the image below will show;
- The username and password are already sent to your email, check it and you will find it there. However, the username is either admin or your full email address.
Do not forget the above tips!!
Now, from your WordPress dashboard, you can start adjusting and configuring the site; continue reading as the next step is the most important aspect of this tutorial.
Set up Guidelines
Publishing your first blog posts
Whether it is a website or blog, you need to start publishing blog posts. Having a consistent blog posts publication:
- Makes your site gets busy
- It helps to boost and solidify your SEO (search engine optimization) efforts because Google bots spider will always be crawling and indexing your site consistently. Secondly, Google loves and respects a website with consistent quality blog posts publications.
- It automatically helps you to rank higher and gets visitors to easily get to know about your site and blog.
To publish a blog post is not difficult, watch the video below on how to do this;
How to maintain your finance website and Blog
Maintenance of any business entity is crucial for integrity, sustenance, security, and longevity. The security breach and vulnerability of any online business is real and it is rising daily.
I am sure you will not want to just waste all your months and years of hard labor on the site just because of your carelessness and negligence.
To maintain the site,
- Just update your WordPress software version, the installed WordPress themes, and the plugins
- Maintaining the quality of your blog posts and updating them regularly if required
Those are the two tasks you need to implement for the maintenance processes. For the first step, you will be notified inside your WordPress dashboard of the available update. Your task is to accept the alert and run the update by clicking on it.
Then the update will run in the background without you having to sweat or stress!
Getting indexed in Google
After setting up the entire site, the next important thing you need to do is to get listed and indexed in Google search.
This is a mandatory process because you need organic traffic from the search engines. People need to locate and visit your blog/website by searching for relevant information on Google.
A site not on Google is a site not in existence!!
To get listed and indexed on Google, do this;
- Sign up freely on Google search console ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home)
- Submit all requirements and verify the site; this is a little bit technical, so I urge you to watch the video below on how to verify your site on Google search console.
If you encounter any problem or don’t understand, just reach out to me, I will be glad to be of help.
SEO- Understanding a few basic concepts
SEO represents and stands for search engine optimization. For Google and other search engines to love your site and be sending you the organic traffic you so much desire, it is important you fully set up SEO on the site and also on each blog post.
To do that is not so easy because SEO is a little technical, difficult and there is no ending to learning about it.
However, for a starter like you, I recommend the following steps:
- Install Yoast SEO plugin (I mentioned it earlier); after the installation, get it activated.
- After activation, go to the Yoast settings page, study the parameters, elements and follow the on-screen instructions as shown below.
- For further reading and understanding, I recommend you check out: Yoast SEO Main page
If you need help and support, kindly reach out to me.
Now, we are done with all the technical details you need to know about setting up the site, the next step for us is to know how to promote and market the new site to a wider general audience and the entire world.
Success Tips / Promotion / Marketing
3 Truths to know
When deciding to launch this type of online business niche, you need to be focused; what I mean is that there are different approaches to this type of niche. The following are 3 essential truths you need to know.
Run Authority site
There are different models of approach in running this niche. Many people prefer to run a pure finance website/blog and publish quality articles with columnists contributing their quotas.
This approach and model is good and you will fast become an authority because it contains pure relevant information and resource contents. Your niche can be purely on debt, mortgaging, loan, forex, investment, stocks, etc.
Run a news based website or blog
The second approach is to run pure finance-based news; this can be done by aggregating different finance, money or investment based information and news from different sources and then publishing them on your website or blog.
This model is also good and people can reckon and tag your blog with authority in terms of getting detailed and relevant news on finance, stocks, investment, portfolio, forex, etc.
The third model is my preferred model; this model incorporates both approaches. You publish quality content and also publish news based details and information.
(2) Do it for Passion and not the money
You may have probably heard or known that the finance niche is one of the best highest paying niches for CPC (Google AdSense for example), affiliate marketing and even direct marketing.
This is true, but this should not be the reason why you should start this niche.
Because you will be disappointed big time for almost 6months to a year; besides, you will realize that lots of work is involved and expected traffic can take even up to a year!!
That is why you should only launch this project only if you have a pure and genuine passion.
(3) Be an Authority
Blogging is for relationship building; blogging is a channel where you can relate with people and people/visitors will only respect and constantly visit your blog or website once they know that they are getting quality information, resource and training.
The finance niche is a knowledge-based niche and the first requirement before starting is for you to have deep knowledge about finance and its associated areas e.g. debts, loan, forex, etc.
So, you need to be good at what you are doing and be full of the required skill.
Getting on LinkedIn and maximizing its power
In running a personal finance blog, you need to get on Linkedin.
Not all social media networks can be used for the promotion of this niche, from my own experience, LinkedIn is the right social network to use if you are going to run an authority finance blog and website.
But if you want to run news alone or a combination of both, then you can get on board Facebook and twitter.
How do you use LinkedIn for this niche?
LinkedIn is the Facebook for business professionals as said by Bill Gate!!
- Go on LinkedIn, open a free account, if possible, go premium. Complete your profile details (remember to input the name of your website (i.e. the URL address), upload the right photographs and the perfect description of what your website does.
- After this, join and follow like-minded people in this niche, join and follow about 30 people and you will be surprised that other people will also follow you.
- After following these people, get engaged by posting comments and upvoting their published or shared contents and also you can share their contents likewise.
- After this, go to LinkedIn group/community, search for groups relating to finance, forex, investment, etc. and join as many as possible. I recommend you join about 50 communities.
- After being accepted into the group, start sharing your posts and articles in a sensible and timely manner.
- Then watch the traffic and engagement your posts will cause; you will get lots of traffic from LinkedIn back to your site/blog.
The Power of Influencers
Influencers are individuals who are shaking and controlling social media. It is because they have lots of followers, fans, likes, and supporters, often in their millions. Influencers are the ones that can easily promote your new personal finance blog.
To be an influencer, it means you have followers, starting from around 20,000 upward to as much as 120 million followers.
Now, you are going to leverage these particular types of people to spread and promote your finance website.
- Look for influencers in your niche ( or in the motivational or inspiration niche)
- Follow them, like or be their fan; try as much as possible to get noticed by the particular influencer. You can achieve this by always responding to their posts, commenting and also sharing their posts, etc.
- The best place to look for influencers and get the real traffic is twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook ( note the order I listed them)
- Over time, i.e. from 2 weeks upward (when you constantly do what I mentioned above), approach this fellow and discuss how they can help you promote your blog.
- Some of them will agree to do it free while some will want you to pay. I believe this is a business you are trying to build, so, if it means you need to pay, do not hesitate.
- If they agree, then they will start sharing your posts and promoting your stuff.
Using the power of influencers has been proven to work and convert very well, try it!!
Guest Posting Concepts
This method of promoting your personal finance blog will accelerate your SEO, give you dofollow backlinks and help to increase the number of traffic you will be getting from the search engines.
Guest posting is needed for search engine optimization and to help you rank higher in Google.
The idea behind guest posting is by publishing good articles/contents on high authority but related blogs and websites with the sole purpose of getting dofollow backlinks.
From my own experience, handling guests posting by yourself is good but it is time consuming and a little bit difficult.
I always recommend you give the task out to people who understand this concept better and who have been doing it excellently well with a proven track record. Though it is not free, see it as an investment in your effort to make sure the site becomes successful.
Give the task out to professional freelance writers.
Using PPC Marketing ( Google Adwords and Facebook Ad)
Though it is an effective way to get targeted traffic, however, I will not advise you to do this yet because you are just starting.
Focus on getting quality content/blog posts first; focus on getting dofollow backlinks and also focus on using social media to your advantage.
After this, you can start thinking and implementing the use of PPC (Pay per Click) advertising on Google Adwords and Facebook Ads to increase your chances of getting more traffic and conversions.
Using this approach is highly effective but it needs commitment. You visit related finance blogs, read their articles and drop comments there.
Just assign an hour a day to implement this promotional strategy and do it for at least 5 different blogs every day.
Friends, blog commenting works and it works very well!!
How to make money with a personal finance blog website
A personal finance niche is one of the highest paying niches in terms of advertisement. You stand to make lots of money running a website on this niche.
The following are proven ways to make money from this niche:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Direct Marketing
- Google Adsense
Promote other people’s services and products and earn a commission if the product/services are purchased. This is one of the best ways to make money from this niche.
You can join the company below:
To me, this is the best affiliate company to join as a publisher (owner of a blog or website) for a finance-based niche.
When you join, search for merchants in the finance and money category, join them and start promoting them on your site.
You will get your commission earnings either through:
- Payoneer ( for those not having PayPal, and those mostly in Asia, Africa, and some Middle East countries)
- Direct Bank Transfer
- Direct Cheque
Direct marketing offers the best money-making opportunity for a personal finance blog but it is very difficult to get. It is because your site needs to be an authority with a high volume of traffic.
Secondly, you will have to get out and personally visits finance institutions (e.g. Banks, insurance houses, forex brokers, mortgage, etc.), submit your proposal before you can get their attention.
The CTR for a finance niche on Google AdSense is the highest and that is why this category can give you real money. A single click can sometimes give you up to USD30 compared to other clicks that can give you 0.02 cents. Check out Google Adsense at https://www.google.com/adsense/start/
Though, you will make money using Google AdSense, but affiliate marketing is still the best.
This tutorial on how to start a personal finance website and blog is well detailed, I hope you have gained something tangible from this lengthy teaching.
Please if you value this article, I ask for a favor from you; kindly help me by:
- Linking back to it
- Sharing it on LinkedIn, Twitter and FB
- Bookmark on your browser, PC and mobile phone.
NB: need any help, just reach out to me.