This teaching is not just theoretical, but this is a pure practical demonstration on how you can build and start a highly successful personal finance blog and investment/portfolio website.
However, a brief listings on the requirements to launching a personal finance blog;
- Your unmatched and deep knowledge about this niche
- Set up cost of approximately USD150-USD475
- A WordPress themes that is mobile responsive (adaptive)
- Excellent Webhosting server that gives reliability
- WordPress software – Installation and set up
- Hard work, focus, commitment and dedication to make it work
TABLE OF CONTENT
- 3 Truths to know ( Discussed under promotion and marketing)
Technical Set Up
- How to get WordPress themes template for the designing concept
- Domain name registration
- Webhosting Procedures
- WordPress software installation
- Practical Set up Guidelines (Very important to read)
- Publishing your first Blog posts and subsequent ones
- How you need to maintain the site
- Getting indexed in Google
- SEO- Understanding few basic concepts
Success Tips / Promotion / Marketing
- 3 Truths to know (Niche selection – News or Authority etc.)
- Getting on LinkedIn and maximizing its power
- Using Influencers to promote the site
- Getting on Facebook, Instagram and twitter
- Guest Posting Concepts
- The trick to get loved by Google – having ready-made posts ( about 10)
- Blog Commenting
- How to make money with a personal finance blog website
How to get WordPress themes template for the designing concept
First impression is the number one factor that will determine the overall success of your site. For a new personal finance blog, the design is of huge importance. You need a design that will be mobile responsive and one which should also give you good conversions.
WordPress themes are templates built for both a website and blog design. The use of WordPress themes is the best option because they are ready made, inbuilt with all features expected of a standard and professionally looking web design.
All you have to do is to check the particular one for your niche, view the demo and make the purchase (it is approximately USD45-USD120); always go for the premium ones because of so many advantages inherent.
The following are listed themes you can use for your investment/portfolio website and finance blog designs:
Three essential factors you should know and understand:
- A WordPress themes should be mobile responsive:
This implies it should be able to adapt and be flexible to view in any viewing device. In practical terms, the theme should adapt to the dimension and size of any device you are trying to view it on. E.g. iPhones, Smartphones, any mobile gadgets, laptop, palmtops, PC or even desktop computers.
More and more people are now accessing the web and internet using their mobile phones, and so, it is a must your design should be able to be viewed excellently well on any mobile device.
Themes/templates listed above and from the reputable companies below are all mobile responsive. ( Simply search using keywords e.g. investment, money, finance etc and various templates will be displayed to you).
An average webmaster and website owner do not know about SEO (search engine optimization); and this is one reason why they seems not to understand why they are not ranking high on Google search result pages.
The easiest way to ranking high is to first have a design that is optimized for the search engines, and this is one feature of premium WordPress themes. In the blogging community, it is a general known fact that WordPress powered site generally rank higher than any other website building software.
The above listed themes/templates above and from the companies are all SEO ready for your advantage.
- Fast Loading/ Retina Ready
An SEO WordPress themes should not be bloated, should not be heavy and it should not have much coding which naturally consumes lots of bandwidth.
This is a primary feature and advantage that templates from StudioPress and Mythemeshop all have in common.
Once these features are clear to you and you see the particular theme of interest, make the purchase, take note of the account from where you bought it and generally, you need to download the purchased WordPress file as a ZIP file on your computer system.
Domain name registration
The next step now is the registration of a domain name that will be used as the brand name of the website.
This step is very important because once you start with the choice of your domain name, it is difficult to change because of the brand and awareness already associated with it.
Lots of popular finance blogs and website like to include the keyword, or money phrase word in the choice of their domain name. e.g. moneymarket.com
For you, just think of a very good name that:
- Will be your brand
- That people have already known you with
- will be memorable and short to pronounce
- is not more than 12 letter word count.
After this, you need to check and confirm the availability of the name whether it can be registered and owned or whether someone/or other business is already using it.
The domain name checker form below is a real time application that can be used for this exercise;
Use the form above to check for the choice of your domain. E.g. moneydaily.com, howtoinvest.co.uk, financedaily.com, mydailyfinance.com, debtsolution.com etc.
If the name you want is available, then we move to the next step which is the hosting of the available domain name.
Webhosting is a simple task and not complicated as some people may want you to feel. To host your blog or site means you are having the right to have your domain name and contents present on the World Wide Web.
Everything is now advanced and as such, you do not have to worry about all the technical stuffs of trying to get a web hosting server.
Bluehost Webhosting Company is number one in reliable hosting. It is first among its peers and everything is done automatically in the background for you.
Once you chose the perfect WordPress themes design, obtain the domain name registration, the next step is to simply host these two along with the contents you are going to upload.
I always recommend Bluehost webhosting Company for some of the following reasons;
- For more than 8 years that I have been with them, my experience has been that of a satisfied client and I am very much pleased with their services
- Their price is fair among its peers in the industry; for a new investment or portfolio website or even blog, you can get a hosting package from USD3.5 per month. You get the same service with other webhost who charges you USD25 per month (no difference at all forget, about all the technical grammar they may be saying to confuse you).
- Bluehost boast of actual 24 hours customer support services, and they can be reached through all available channels from anywhere you are in the world.
- They have free features, including free email services e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org etc.
The domain name registration and hosting happens simultaneously at the same time, so I recommend you host the site.
Follow the guidelines below to implement and complete the webhosting process;
After completing the hosting, the next step is the installation of WordPress software on the server (web space) you just bought, then after that, we start the whole configuration and set up processes. All these process are not technical at all, just follow my teachings and guidelines below.
WordPress software installation
WordPress is an open source software, powering more than 85% of websites and blogs globally as at now.
All what we are doing is dependent on this software and this step is where we are going to install the software and get everything working together.
Follow the guidelines below to install the software:
- Immediately after the purchase of the hosting packages and the confirmation 6f 5
- An option will be presented to you by Bluehost on whether you want to install WordPress on the server.
- Accept the option by clicking on the logo to begin with the installation
- After approximately 5 minutes maximum, the installation will be completed and the WordPress dashboard will open next as seen below
If you are able to see the dashboard (above), then it means the installation is successful and you can now start the overall building of the site.
- Remember your domain name and do not forget it: yourdomainname.com
- Remember the URL address of the site or blog: http://www.yourdomainname.com
- Remember the WordPress login to access your site: http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin/
- Whenever you type the above WordPress login URL on the browser, the image below will show;
- The username and password is already sent to your email, check it and you will find it there. However, the username is either admin or your full email address.
Do not forget the above tips!!
Now, from your WordPress dashboard, you can start adjusting and configuring the site; continue reading as the next step is the most important aspect of this tutorial.
Practical Set up Guidelines
I don’t know the themes you bought, however, I will be using the themes below as an example in this step 5. The same concept I will apply here is what is also applicable on any other template or themes.
Points of discussions;
- How to upload and install the template/WordPress themes you bought
- Upload and importation of the demo – To fast-track the designing and configuration.
- Fixing the header, footer and logo set up.
- Menu arrangement and set up process
- Permalinks and widgets settings/adjustment.
- WordPress plugins – installation and activation
- How to create page, post and category
- FrontPage settings
- Understanding the widgets
- Contact form
- Installation and Activation of Email Subscription Form
Step 5 (1)
How to upload and install the template/WordPress themes you bought
No matter where you bought the template from, you will need to upload and install it on your new server.
To do that:
- First, you have to go to where you bought the themes from and download the WordPress file. It is mostly in ZIP format.
- After this, login to your WordPress dashboard, by signing in with your username and password
- Locate themes and click on ‘add new themes; from the page opened, click to upload the downloaded ZIP file. (See the image below):
- Click to install and after installation, click on activate.
- Press save and exit the page.
- Refresh your homepage to see the new changes
Step 5 (2)
Upload and importation of the demo – To fast-track the designing and configuration.
The purpose of the demo is to:
- Fast track the configuration settings and to make it easy for you in understanding the whole concept
- To make your new finance blog and investment website look exactly like the demo of the themes you purchased.
To implement this idea, the steps below will help out;
- Install and activate the themes normally (the above step should be implemented first)
- Locate and identify demo file or xml by unzipping the downloaded ZIP file ( WordPress file)
- Install the import plugin, then activate it; to do this, go to tools (located in the left hand side of the dashboard), from tools click on import, then go to import page, check through the list and install the import plugin for WordPress.
- Follow the instructions and it will be done
- This plugin will automatically detects import file by going to the unzipped file, and import the demo or xml file on the folder
- Click to import and run the command.
- After about 20 minutes, the whole file (including settings and original configuration) will be uploaded on your site and the site will look like the original.
- Though not all the pictures and videos may get uploaded, in such a case, you will need to deal with and handle that aspect manually by yourself.
Watch this video below:
Step 5 (3)
Fixing the header, footer and logo set up.
From the example template I am using for this tutorial, the header and the footer are clearly marked for your understanding and easy comprehension.
The header and footer are constant elements that is present on all pages and sections of any website or blog. If you optimize your header and footer very well, you stand to gain a lot from their conversions and that is why it is recommended to always make sure important pages are the ones you will put on the footer or the header. This is especially true for a personal finance website.
The header is the visible top area of the design and in the header, we have the menu, logo and description. The footer is the visible base area and portion of any design.
To start editing the header and footer and replacing what is there presently (they are the demo contents) to your own information and details, follow these steps:
- Theme options setting
- Widgets area
StudioPress (makers of all Genesis child themes) have a comprehensive page for their customers on how they can set up their site/blog for each specific themes/templates bought from them. You may need to check these pages for needed instructions.
Aside from this, the theme options/panel is mostly present on the dashboard on most themes and when you visit there, you will find instructions on how to edit your header, footer and even the logo.
The widget is very important, because from the widget, you can configure and adjust nearly every part of the site. You can edit the footer and the header, including the logo (changing logo etc.) from the widgets. Just visit the widgets settings area to start the configuration.
Step 5 (4)
Menu arrangement and set up process
Having a well optimized menu as briefly mentioned above is highly important for a specialized niche like the finance, money and investment niches.
The menu is the most important and integral part of the header; the image below is the menu in practical identification and meaning.
Since, we are using the imported demo contents, it means you already have a menu, so you just have to edit the menu with the right link and details.
To edit the menu and start arranging / adjusting, follow the guidelines below;
- Locate the menu, it is inside the appearance
- Click on it and go to the menu settings area
- From the menu settings area, as seen above, you can just start editing/removing unwanted pages and categories.
- Any element you want to add to the preferred menu, just click on the item/page or category on the left hand side and it will move to the right hand side
- Remember to always save before exiting the page.
Watch this video on menu creation and editing:
Step 5 (5)
Permalinks and widgets settings/adjustment.
The permalinks is a little bit technical for your understanding, however, in simple terms; it is simply a URL (web browser format of publish pages and posts of your blog or site) identification of your posts, sites, pages and categories.
For SEO purposes, it is important to change the original URL structure of WordPress to a much better format.
So, you are going to change this URL format to a name URL structure as bold displayed in the image below. it is located in the settings link as seen in the image below.
I mentioned that the widget is a vital and highly important part of the whole site architecture. The widgets can be used for editing purposes and also to build up the site.
For example, to add elements, banners, banners, videos etc. to the right hand sidebar of a blog or website; you just need to make use of the widget.
You simply drag the elements from the left hand side and you drop it on the right hand side. It is very easy as a, b, c.
Step 5 (5)
WordPress plugins – installation and activation
There are many functions you may probably want to see on your site. For example, maybe you need a real time chat features where visitors and customers can chat with you, you receive their messages/chat on your mobile phone/PC and be able to reply with them.
Or probably, you need to sell eBooks through your blog etc.
All these features are possible by making use of what is called WordPress plugins. WordPress plugins are a direct and more effective replacement for writing of codes.
The following are important plugins that are needed to be installed on your investment blog as soon as possible.
- Team Yoast SEO Plugin: excellent plugin to solve initial / set up SEO problems
- W3 Total Cache: Powers your site to load extremely fast without adding load on the server.
- Akismet Plugin. Spam stopper and killer; good for security and safety of the website and blog.
- Jetpack plugin: Highly recommended, very important you have it
- Nofollow plugin: Highly important plugin for search engine optimization as it concerns backlinks. It makes all outgoing links (with exception of few by adjusting from the plugin settings area) to be nofollow and not dofollow.
- Sumo plugin: I recommend it for all social media works e.g. sharing and likes/tweets etc.
- Smush Plugin: To reduce the images of all downloaded photographs
- Real Time Chat Plugin. Essential and highly effective for instant chat messaging platform for real time conversations between you and visitors. You can get messages on mobile phones and reply.
Now, the above are the basic plugins that are important and mandatory for you to install and activate. If you need other type of plugin for a task, search for it from the www.wordpress.org repository.
You can install these plugins from the guidelines below:
Step 5 (6)
How to create page, post and category
The following image represent the page and post settings area respectively;
Check the page setting area to know the pages you already have and also do the same thing with the post settings.
For a brief understanding, the following pages are a must on your site/blog:
- Terms of service
- Advertisement ( this is optional)
- Our Services
So, if you check and these pages are there, edit them to your own information. But if not, simply create and publish a new page. You just click on ‘add new page’ by the time you moved the mouse over the ‘page’ icon.
From the post settings area, you will see lots of demo posts/articles present, delete the ones you do not need and create new ones.
To create new post, click on ‘add new post’ from the post icon, give it a title, add featured images and hit the publish button.
The category is needed for arrangement of the entire blog and website structure. All the posts you are going to publish should fall in a category.
To create a new category is easy; go to the settings page above, and click on add new category, give it a title e.g. money, investment, home loans etc.; and click on publish.
Step 5 (7)
For tutorial on the FrontPage settings and the widgets (uses and applications), I recommend you read my earlier posts below:
- How to build a business website and blog: Check it out
- How to start a website like Craigslist: Read it here
Step 5 (8)
Contact Form Page
I think it makes sense to say your blog and website is incomplete without the contact form page. A standard WordPress themes should have a ready-made contact page. ( in most cases, they do, just go to the page settings and view the contact page, assuming you uploaded the demo).
With the example theme I am using for this practical teaching, you can see the contact form in the contact page (shown below).
Now, if you have the contact form page, just click on the edit link at the top of the page and edit the details to your information as described below.
However, if you do not have at all, then follow the guidelines and steps below to create yours:
Create a contact page as you would create a normal page; the title of the page will be contact, then publish it.
Install and activate the Jetpack plugin, go to the settings and activate the ‘contact’ feature (this is after you have verified and activated the Jetpack plugin by linking it to a wordpress.com account).
After this, come back to the published contact page, click on the edit and you will see the contact icon at the tools area ( shown below), just drag it onto the page, fill up the box that pop up and the form will be inserted automatically.
Step 5 (9)
Installation and Activation of Email Subscription Form
Running a personal finance blog is more like a business and you need every tool that will make it look perfect and managed like a real online business entity.
One of the tools is having an active email subscription form where you will be able to capture visitors/customers email address. However, most of the themes have an installed email subscription form, but if not present in yours, then you can read the tutorial below.
I published the guideline to get this done in the article below:
- How to build a weight loss blog and body fitness website: Read it here
Publishing your first Blog posts and subsequent ones
Whether it is website or blog, you need to start publishing blog posts. Having a consistent blog posts publication:
- Makes your site gets busy
- It helps to boost and solidify your SEO (search engine optimization) efforts because Google bots spider will always be crawling and indexing your site on a consistent basis. Secondly, Google loves and respect a website with consistent quality blog posts publications.
- It automatically helps you to rank higher and gets visitors to easily get to know about your site and blog.
To publish a blog post is not difficult, watch the video below on how to do this;
How to maintain your personal finance website and Blog
Maintenance of any business entity is crucial for integrity, sustenance, security and longevity. The security breach and vulnerability of any online business is real and it is rising on a daily basis.
I am sure you will not want to just waste all your months and years of hard labor on the site just because of your carelessness and negligence.
To maintain the site,
- Just update your WordPress software version, the installed WordPress themes and the plugins
- Maintaining the quality of your blog posts and updating them regularly if required
Those are the two tasks you need to implement for the maintenance processes. For the first step, you will be notified inside your WordPress dashboard of available update. Your own task is to accept the alert and run the update by clicking on it.
Then the update will run in the background without you having to sweat or stress!
Getting indexed in Google
After setting up the entire site, the next important thing you need to do is to get listed and indexed in Google search.
This is a mandatory process because you need organic traffic from the search engines. People needs to locate and visit your blog/website by searching for relevant information on Google.
A site not on Google is a site not in existence!!
To get listed and indexed on Google, do this;
- Sign up freely on Google search console ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home)
- Submit all requirements and verify the site; this is a little bit technical, so I urge you to watch the video below on how to verify your site on Google search console.
If you encounter any problem or don’t understand, just reach out to me, I will be glad to be of help.
SEO- Understanding few basic concepts
SEO represents and stands for search engine optimization. For Google and other search engines to love your site and be sending you the organic traffic you so much desire, it is important you fully set up SEO on the site and also on each blog posts.
To do that is not so easy because SEO is a little technical, difficult and there is no ending to learning about it.
However, for a starter like you, I recommend the following steps:
- Install Yoast SEO plugin (I mentioned it earlier); after the installation, get it activated.
- After activation, go to the Yoast settings page, study the parameters, elements and follow the on-screen instructions as shown below.
- For further reading and understanding, I recommend you check out: Yoast SEO Main page
If you need help and support, kindly reach out to me.
Now, we are done with all the technical details you need to know about setting up the site, the next step for us is to know how to promote and market the new site to a wider general audience and the entire world.
Success Tips / Promotion / Marketing
3 Truths to know
When deciding to launch this type of online business niche, you need to be focused; what I mean is that there are different approaches to this type of niche. The following are 3 essential truths you need to know.
Run Authority site
There are different models of approach in running this niche. Many people prefers to run a pure finance website/blog and publish quality articles with columnists contributing their own quotas.
This approach and model is good and you will fast become an authority because it contains pure relevant information and resource contents. Your niche can be purely on debt, mortgaging, loan, forex, investment, stocks etc.
Run a news based website or blog
The second approach is to run a pure finance based news; this can be done by aggregating different finance, money or investment based information and news from different sources and then publishing them on your website or blog.
This model is also good and people can reckon and tag your blog with authority in terms of getting detailed and relevant news on finance, stocks, investment, portfolio, forex etc.
Mix it Together
The third model is my preferred model; this model incorporates both approaches. You publish quality contents and also publish news based details and information.
To know more about this, read the resource material I published:
- How to start and run an online news aggregation website: Read it now
- How to start and run a news website: Read it here
(2) Do it for Passion and not the money
You may have probably heard or known that the finance niche is one of the best highest paying niches for CPC (Google AdSense for example), affiliate marketing and even direct marketing.
This is true, but this should not be the reason why you should start this niche.
Because you will be disappointed big time for almost 6months to a year; in addition, you will realize that lots of work is involved and expected traffic can take even up to a year!!
That is why you should only launch this project only if you have the pure and genuine passion.
(3) Be an Authority
Blogging is for relationship building; blogging is a channel where you are able to relate with people and people/visitor will only respect and constantly visit your blog or website once they know that they are getting quality information, resource and training.
The finance niche is a knowledge based niche and the first requirement before starting out is for you to have a deep knowledge about finance and its associated areas e.g. debts, loan, forex etc.
So, you need to be good at what you are doing and be full of the required skill.
Getting on LinkedIn and maximizing its power
Not all social media networks can be used for the promotion of this niche, from my own experience, LinkedIn is the right social network to use if you are going to run an authority finance blog and website.
But if you want to run news alone or combination of both, then you can get on board Facebook and twitter.
How do you use LinkedIn for this niche?
LinkedIn is the Facebook for business professionals as said by Bill Gate!!
- Go on LinkedIn, open a free account, if possible, go premium. Complete your profile details (remember to input the name of your website (i.e. the URL address), upload the right photographs and the perfect description of what your website does.
- After this, join and follow like-minded people in this niche, join and follow about 30 people and you will be surprised that other people will also follow you.
- After following this people, get engaged by posting comments and up voting their published or shared contents and also you can share their contents likewise.
- After this, go to LinkedIn group/community, search for groups relating to finance, forex, investment etc. and join as many as possible. I recommend you join about 50.
- After being accepted into the group, start sharing your posts and articles in a sensible and timely manner.
- Then watch the traffic and engagement your posts will cause; you will get lots of traffic from LinkedIn back to your site/blog.
The Power of Influencers
Influencers are individuals who are actually shaking and controlling the social media. It is because they have lots of followers, fans, likes and supporters, often in their millions.
To be an influencer, it means you have followers, starting from around 20,000 upward to as much as 120 million followers.
Now, you are going to leverage on these particular type of people to spread and promote your finance website.
- Look for influencers in your niche ( or in the motivational or inspiration niche)
- Follow them, like or be their fan; try as much as possible to get noticed by the particular influencer. You can achieve this by always responding to their posts, commenting and also sharing their posts etc.
- The best place to look for influencers and get the real traffic is twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook ( note the order I listed them)
- Over time, i.e. from 2 weeks upward (when you constantly do what I mentioned above), approach this fellow and discuss on how they can help you promote your blog.
- Some of them will agree to do it free while some will want you to pay. I believe this is a business you are trying to build, so, if it means you need to pay, do not hesitate.
- If they agree, then they will start sharing your posts and promoting your stuff.
Using the power of influencers has been proven to work and convert very well, try it!!
Guest Posting Concepts
This method of promoting the site will accelerate your SEO, give you dofollow backlinks and help to increase the number of traffic you will be getting from the search engines.
Basically, guest posting is needed for search engine optimization and to help you rank higher in Google.
The idea behind guest posting is by publishing good articles/contents on high authority but related blogs and website with the sole purpose of getting dofollow backlinks.
From my own experience, handling guest posting by yourself is good but it is time consuming and a little bit difficult.
I always recommend you give the task out to people who understands this concept better and who have been doing it excellently well with proven track record. Though, it is not free, but see it as an investment in your effort to make sure the site becomes successful.
Give the task out to professional freelance writers.
Using PPC Marketing ( Google Adwords and Facebook Ad)
Though it is an effective way to get targeted traffic, however, I will not advise you to do this yet because you are just starting out.
Focus on getting quality contents/blog post first; focus on getting dofollow backlinks and also focus on using the social media to your advantage.
After this, you can start thinking and implementing the use of PPC (Pay per Click) advertising on Google Adwords and Facebook Ads to increase your chances of getting more traffic and conversions.
Using this approach is highly effective but it needs commitment. You visit related finance blogs, read their articles and drop comments there.
Just assign an hour a day to implement this promotional strategy and do it for at least 5 different blogs every day.
Friends, blog commenting works and it works very well!!
How to make money with a personal finance blog website
The finance niche is one of the highest paying niches in terms of advertisement. You stand to make lots of money running a website on this niche.
The following are proven ways to make money from this niche:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Direct Marketing
- Google Adsense
Promote other people’s services and products and earn a commission if the product/services is purchased. This is one of the best way to make money from this niche.
You can join the company below:
To me, this is the best affiliate company to join as a publisher (owner of a blog or website) for finance based niche.
When you join, search for merchants in the finance and money category, join them and start promoting them on your site.
You will get your commission earnings either through:
- Payoneer ( for those not having PayPal, and those mostly in Asia, Africa and some Middle east countries)
- Direct Bank Transfer
- Direct Cheque
Check out ShareAsale here!!
Direct marketing offers the best money making opportunity but it is very difficult to get. It is because your site needs to be an authority with high volume of traffic.
Secondly, you will have to get out and personally visits finance institutions (e.g. Banks, insurance houses, forex brokers, mortgage etc.), submit your proposal before you can get their attention.
The CTR for a finance niche on Google AdSense is the highest and that is why this category can give you the real money. A single click can sometimes give you up to USD30 compared to other clicks that can give you 0.02 cent. Check out Google Adsense at: https://www.google.com/adsense/start/
Though, you will make money using Google AdSense, but affiliate marketing is still the best.
This tutorial on how to start a personal finance website and blog is well detailed, I hope you have gained something tangible from this lengthy teaching.
Please if you value this article, I ask for a favour from you; kindly help me by:
- Linking back to it
- Sharing it on LinkedIn, twitter and FB
- Bookmark on your browser, PC and mobile phone.
NB: need any help, just reach out to me.