This is a challenging tutorial but doable; this tutorial is focused on how to build and create a video website like YouTube using WordPress.
Brief requirements to creating and launching a video website are listed below:
- A cost effective powerful web server that can give you more storage space in SSD
- An approximate start up cost of USD120-USD500;
- A mobile responsive WordPress themes for mobile phone audiences
- WordPress software – Installation and set up
- Excellent video editing software that compliments your uploaded videos
- Hard work, commitment and 100% determination to achieve success.
We cannot get exactly a site like YouTube but we can get something almost similar because:
- YouTube is the world’s most visited, biggest and most popular video website
- YouTube also doubles as the 3rd most visited website in the world, getting almost a billion visits per day.
- They have more than 20 dedicated staffs working on a daily basis; They have a powerful and strong database center (powerful servers) in more than one country!! The database center and multidimensional servers in more than 10 countries implies that it is heavily financial backed. It cost a lot of money to run this kind of business project.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Getting mobile responsive video template- WordPress themes
- The Domain name acquisition and registration
- Webhosting, registration and configuration
- Introducing WordPress software – installation and activation
- Detailed set up and configuration (MUST READ)
- How to maintain your new site
- Getting indexed in Google- Steps to take
- Fixing SEO- Search Engine Optimization
Success Tips / Marketing
- Setting up account for users
- Dummy Account Creation
- Front End submission plugin – How to
- Promoting new site using Guest Posting
- Getting Aggressive on Social Media – Leveraging on FB, Instagram, YouTube and twitter
- Networking with influencers for massive exposure and popularity
- Making money
This is a lengthy tutorial of 6000 word count. Are you ready? Then let us proceed.
Getting mobile responsive video template- WordPress themes
The first step to take is in the design concept. Have you ever watched YouTube on your mobile phone? You will see that it is clear, sharp and adjust to the viewing dimension screen of the mobile phone and even on PC/Laptop.
This feature is what is called a mobile responsive attribute. The first thing you need to consider is this feature when designing or about to launch a video website. More and more people online are doing so using their mobile phones, especially when it even comes to video, 85% of viewed videos is done on mobile phones.
Only WordPress themes (they are website templates built and powered by WordPress software) can handle this features and they are the best at it.
I am recommending that you embrace the use of professionally designed premium WordPress themes, instead of building or coding the design all by yourself. The cost of these themes varies from USD 45 – USD120.
The clause here is that you only need to get these themes from respected companies (I only recommend the companies I use) who have proven to be dependable and reliable:
Recommended Video WordPress themes like YouTube are shown below
You can get these templates and others from the following companies:
Check out the various templates, view their demos till you see the particular one you are pleased with. After this, make the purchase note your details (however, you will need to download the purchased templates, in ZIP file mode).
The Domain name acquisition and registration
The second step to take is the registration of a domain name; the choice of your domain name is of significance importance you should consider for the longer term benefit and also because of branding.
A very good definition and description of a domain name is illustrated in YouTube;
- Name of site: YouTube
- Domain name: youtube.com
So, you should use a name that is special, unique, short, sweet, brandable and stylish. Think about vimeo, Facebook, twitter etc.
So, while you are penciling down different names, use the checker form below to see if the name you have is free to be used.
Everywhere is competitive, so if you discover that the name you have chosen is free and if it is the name you really desire and want; do not waste time, register it immediately before someone else does.
Delay is dangerous, I sincerely recommend you get the domain name now and register it fast!
Webhosting, registration and configuration
The third step is the webhosting of the newly registered domain name. Webhosting is essential, it is one of the steps you MUST do before your site can be online.
Now, once you register the domain name, Bluehost also ask whether you want to host the site also. To be honest with you, I will accept the option and decide to host my video website with them (as a starter).
The reasons are:
- The prime package, starting at USD5.95 per month is good for a starter because you are just starting out; you need to study how everything goes before committing lots of monetary resources on the hosting plan
- Bluehost has been in this business for more than 20 years; they have proven to be reliable, dependable and trusted.
- They have excellent customer support service; running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- They have good uptime record and zero tolerance for downtime.
- Again, because of DNS issue and migration problem; it is sometimes advisable to host your site on a single platform where you also have your domain name registered.
- As the site grows in traffic, you can either go to higher hosting plan or change your host company.
By their nature, a video website consumes lots of bandwidth and as such, if you want to host a video website, you will need a very strong web server with strong bandwidth, one that can handle and accommodate any unexpected spike in traffic.
Aside Bluehost webhosting company, there are only two companies I can recommend to you for your use:
These companies ( Leading is Bluehost Webhost) have SSD (storage devices, instead of HDD; this makes your site to load amazingly extra fast) and they are solely focused on WordPress software; highly recommended.
Introducing WordPress software – installation and activation
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open source software for building websites; it is managed and supported by over 2000 programming professionals. It is regarded and respected as the best site building software because of its high level of security and ease of use (even to a novice).
The best use of WordPress is in content management system, of which a video website is one. It is built to accommodate data, in organizational hierarchy model.
Depending on the webhosting company you have decided to host with, you are given options to choose the type of website building software you want installed on your new site.
For Bluehost, they handle all these things in the background for you and they are solely focused on WordPress. The same thing with Kinsta; however, the following are guidelines you will follow in the installation of the software for bluehost webhosting company.
The following are key points you should know and also keep the record; they are very important for the present and future references.
- Domain name: example.com ( this is an example)
- URL address: www.example.com
- WordPress Login: example.com/wp-admin/ (When you type this on your browser, the image below will be displayed.
- Now, you will need username and password. Do not be afraid because username is already known. In most cases, your username is admin or your email address you used during the registration of the domain name. The password in this case is known to you and usually you would have created it during the software installation.
- Once you present these two login requirements, and it is successful, you will be brought straight to the dashboard. From the dashboard, you can start making plans, set up and arranging your video website. This is where the real tutorial just got started.
Detailed set up and configuration (MUST READ)
We will be spending lots of time here because this is where the real teaching lies. Although this aspect is not needed if you already know how to set up a WordPress website, however, I have included it for the sake of people that are new to this whole stuff.
We shall be looking at the following points.
- Installing and fixing the purchased WordPress themes ( i.e. the YouTube WordPress themes lookalike or any other template)
- Adjusting and arranging the header, footer and logo
- Arranging the menu rightly.
- FrontPage set up and arrangement
- Widgets, Pages and category set up
- Adjusting permalinks
- Essential WordPress plugins to install
- Final Configuration
Though, not really final, I will be discussing about the account opening for users, FEED (Front end submission plugins- this allows people to submit and upload their videos to the site directly, just like YouTube etc.) in the next stage. For now, let us proceed.
Step 5 (1)
Installing and fixing the purchased WordPress themes ( i.e. the YouTube WordPress themes lookalike or any other template)
Assuming you have bought your template (video WordPress themes), you should have downloaded the theme as a ZIP file on your computer system or laptop. What we are going to do now is to install this theme.
The best option is to upload the demo so that your site will look exactly like the themes you purchased.
Follow this guideline to do all that:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard (remember the username and password I briefed you about).
- Once inside the dashboard, try and look for themes, sometimes it is inside the ‘appearance’
- Once you see themes, click on it and click on ‘add new themes’; you will be taken to the theme upload page, on that page, click the upload box and locate where you have downloaded the ZIP file
- Upload the ZIP file and in about 10 minutes, the installation will be completed.
If you encounter any problem, just reach out to me and I will be of help as soon as possible.
We are now going to import and upload the demo so that it will look like the original themes purchased. To do that, implement the strategy below:
- First, go to where you downloaded the purchased themes on your computer (maybe on your download folder)
- It is likely to be in ZIP file format, what you are going to do is to remove the ZIP by unzipping it. Doing this reveals the contents inside and you will be able to move the contents.
- Now, after doing that, look for and locate any file ending with .XML or demo, once you see it, we are going to import that particular file
- Now, you will need an import plugin; to do that, go to your WordPress dashboard, scroll down and you will see ‘tools’; click on it and click on ‘import.
- On the import page, scroll down to the last option and you will install the import plugin. Click on it and have it installed and activated ( do not be stressed about any warning sign, just ignore and press forward, however, do not forget to uninstall and remove this plugin after this particular task).
- After installing and activating the plugin, the plugin will locate the item to be imported, direct it to the .XML file or demo and have it imported.
- Now, everything will be imported and your site will look like the original template
- However, if videos are not imported, you will need to do that manually!!
If you encounter any problem, just reach out to me.
You can watch the video below on how to fully understand this.
Demo installation video
Step 5 (2)
Adjusting and arranging the header, footer and logo
Now, after the importation of the demo, you need to start editing and arranging all needed elements. The first place to start with is the header, footer and the logo.
The image below describes all:
The header is the first spot ( the top area of your site) any visitor to your site sees, and since we are using the demo, it is important you edit it to reflect yours. To edit the header, follow these steps:
- Theme options (panel)
- Widgets settings
The theme options (sometimes called control panel) may be present on some themes and you will see it clearly on the dashboard, preferably before the appearance. On this feature, every editing instruction and guidelines are stated there.
Widgets settings: The widget settings is home to anything editing and arrangement; you can edit the header, including the footer and the logo from the widget. The widget is located inside the appearance.
The menu is also part of the header as seen above; detailed guideline on the menu is seen below.
To edit your footer, spy on YouTube and see the sort of elements and information present on its footer. To edit it, follow the same guidelines for header as highlighted above.
The logo is a sensitive area and you have to understand the size and dimension (pixels or centimeter or inches); however, both the theme options/panel and the widget usually contains information on the logo.
Step 5 (3)
Arranging the menu rightly.
Check and spy on the menu of YouTube (see below); do you see how they arrange their menu? Follow their steps to do yours.
Though, we already have the menu from the imported demo, all you have to do is to edit the menu and fill it with the right video, category and pages.
Before you start editing your menu, make sure you have already published some pages, some categories and also some videos are already published.
To create a menu or edit it, the following steps are required:
- First, check out the menu settings page (image below)
- Observe the arrangement and the number of menus you have there, observe the left hand side of the menu and also the right hand side; because what you see on the right hand side of the menu is from the left hand side (i.e. the posts, pages, categories etc.).
- To get to your menu, go to appearance, inside the appearance, you will see menu, click on it and you be brought to the menu settings page as shown above
- Now, any content you do not want on the particular menu, just delete it
- And if you want to add any elements to the menu, just click the particular element (page, video, category) and it will be added to the right hand side of the menu
- Any editing or addition you do should always be saved so that it will be permanent
Now, there are two types of menu
The primary menu is usually the one below the header while the secondary menu is either further below it or is at the footer. Either way, you have the option to decide how you want to adjust or set it up all from the menu settings page.
For further teaching on the menu, I highly recommend you watch the video below:
Step 5 (4)
FrontPage set up and arrangement
Please remember that we are dealing with how to build and start a video website; the FrontPage of any video website is the most important area because of the huge power it carries when it comes to SEO and also conversion from visitors.
As we are using the demo, many factors are considered to have any video on the FrontPage. On some, it may be:
- Permanently set to show new videos
- Set to reflect popular/most viewed videos only
- Set to reflect the most favorite videos
All these factors matters to the arrangement you want for the site. But anyway, the following are steps you need to take to arrange and set up the homepage.
- From the published video editing settings
- From the theme options
- From the widgets
- From the settings area
From the published video editing settings
Check a published video, click on editing and go to the editing page; once there, look throughout the page and you may see an option that says ‘do you want this page or video to be as featured video? Or do you want this video to show in the FrontPage/homepage?
Once you see this, accept the option and that particular video will be shown on the FrontPage.
This is the first option, but if not, check the other options below.
From the theme options
Virtually all themes have a central theme options (called panel) from where all editing stuffs are kept. Check this area (it is mostly on the dashboard, just before the appearance link) and study anything written about the FrontPage/homepage. I earlier displayed my own theme options above.
From the widgets
The widget is the mother of all editing works; check also the widgets and look for options to display videos on the FrontPage. You have almost 80% chances that this option will be present in the widget.
The widget can be found inside the appearance, just check the appearance and from the appearance, go to widgets.
From the settings area
This option allows you in making sure new published videos automatically appears on the FrontPage/homepage. See the image below.
To locate this place is easy, follow the steps below:
- Go to the dashboard, locate settings (scroll down, it is towards the left hand side), inside the settings, locate ‘reading; once there, click on it and you will be brought to the page as seen above.
- Set and adjust the options to have new videos on homepage
- Click save and exit the page.
If you encounter any problem, kindly reach out to me.
Step 5 (5)
Widgets, Pages, videos and category set up
I made mention of the widgets lots of times, it is because of the importance it plays. We are going to look at how to create pages, videos, widgets and also set up categories.
You need all these four to complete the creation of the site.
- Creating a video is simply uploading the video. To do that is easy, right from the dashboard, you will see new, click on ‘add new video’. On some themes, you will go to the media, and click on ‘add new media’.
- The page to do that will be displayed to you, click on the upload box, look for the source of the video and have it uploaded.
The pages are important; you need to create and publish the following important pages immediately.
- Disclosure Policy
- DMCA ( very important to avoid legal issues)
First, go to the page settings page, as shown below (because some pages are already published from the demo contents)
- Remove the pages that are not supposed to be there
- If some of the pages you want to publish has already been published, simply click on the edit link and edit the content to yours.
- Give it a featured image (though it is optional, you will see it at the bottom right hand side of the page)
- Click publish and it will be published.
The category gives hierarchy and organizational arrangement to the site. For example, different videos needs to be published under various category.
The following categories may be created
Check the various categories on YouTube, study it and use it to also create your own type of category!
Go to the category settings page as shown below;
- Remove the ones not needed
- Create new categories that are needed
- Give it a title and click publish
- To do that, go to your dashboard, you will see category under ‘posts’; click on it and you will be brought to the settings page.
The widget is powerful and is the brain of editing operations; from the widgets, you can adjust and set up nearly all stuffs on the site.
Study the widgets very well, note the elements that are there; if you want to create the sidebars, study and move the elements from the right to the sidebar areas.
Basically, if you study it very well, you will do amazing it on it.
Step 5 (6)
Simply follow the guidelines below to adjust and set up your permalinks. The permalink setting plays a huge role and significant importance to the overall search engine optimization efforts on the site.
The permalink is seen under settings from the dashboard; follow the image above and implement the required task. The task is simply changing the original settings to a name setting URL settings.
Step 5 (7)
Essential WordPress plugins to install
We are gradually putting finishing touches to the overall set up; the next step for us is the installation and activation of important WordPress plugins that will power the site.
WordPress plugins are essentially the body building blocks of the WordPress software, instead of codes, you make use of plugins; therefore the following are the most essential and important plugins you need to install and activate immediately.
- Yoast SEO plugin: The number one plugin and the most powerful; with this plugin, your SEO problems are over.
- W3 Total Cache: A video website is naturally heavy and consumes lots of storage space and bandwidth, using this plugin gives the site natural speed; essential to speed up the site so that it will load very fast.
- Akismet Plugin: Spam killer.
- Jetpack plugin: It does multidimensional tasks; it does the work of about 6 plugins put together. For example, very good to create contact form for the contact page, very good for social media sharing buttons etc.
- Sumo plugin: my number one plugin for social media icons, links and sharing buttons.
- Real Time chat plugin: Instant messaging plugin. (It is not compulsory anyway).
The above are the basic plugins I can remember right now, further below, I am going to discuss about some more advanced plugins you need for the successful launch and running of the video website.
Installation of this plugins is pretty simple;
- Go to plugins from your dashboard, locate plugins, and click on add new plugins
- On the plugins page, use the search box to search for the plugin of interest (mentioned above), the search box automatically brings to you this plugin, just click on installation, after this, click on activate and the plugin will be working excellently well.
It is not yet final, more details are discussed in the next chapter.
How to maintain your new site
It will be a disaster to see your site hacked and destroyed after so many hard work; that is why, for a WordPress site, you need to constantly update and maintain it.
It is not difficult to do that!!
Maintenance of the site is just in two ways:
- By constantly updating your plugins
- By regularly updating your themes and WordPress versions
These updates can be done right from the dashboard and you will be notified automatically because it will be shown visibly on the screen.
So, it is not a rocket science, just click on update and it will run.
Getting indexed in Google- Steps to take
For a video website, the SEO is very much different from that of a normal content farm site or blog.
Follow this steps to handle the search engine optimization for Google rankings.
- Go to Google search console, ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home) and sign up for a free account
- I recommend you use a new Gmail email account for that purpose;
- At the console, submit your new site and get verified, follow the online screen instructions and carry out the task.
- To verify your account, I recommend you watch the video below
Once you verify the site, you will have to submit your sitemap and the homepage URL. To get your sitemap, you will make use of the Yoast SEO plugin earlier mentioned, or you get the premium version of the Yoast SEO for video (this is the best option).
Just look at the image below of the console settings and submit both your sitemap and URL (for the URL, you make use of the fetch as features).
If you need help, kindly reach out to me.
To be honest with you, to fix SEO and make sure your site is perfectly okay for Google and other search engines, I recommend you get the Yoast SEO plugin for video ( https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/)
SUCCESS TIPS / MARKETING
Dummy Account Creation for Users
You have to remember that your site is new, and obviously no one knows about it. Now, you need to do everything practically possible within your power to make it work.
First is this;
- You need to have nothing less than 50 videos on the site before you start letting people know about it.
- Now, all these videos should not just be in your name; if it is, it will look unprofessional and like a one man show. So, you need wisdom to do this, the answer is in the creation of dummy account users.
- From the fifty (50) video I suggested, assign 10 videos to you (i.e. published in your name or user name).
- Now, assign 4 (four) videos each to about 10 users who are all dummy users.
If a visitor lands on the site and he/she sees different videos from different people, they will think that the site is very much active and this will encourage them to join and upload theirs.
To create these dummy account users, follow the steps below:
- Go to the dashboard, you will see the icon for ‘users’ by the left hand side
- Click on it and create new user, assign to them the post of a ‘contributor’ etc.; write a crafty profile description for them, upload an abstract image (or use real image of someone not existing). See the image below:
- Create an email for them and basically do everything that is required. Once the account creation is successful, then you can start uploading videos to this account.
- Please remember, that you will be given a new username and password for this dummy account.
Do this process for all the ten dummy users and upload relevant videos for them one by one. Within 1-3 hours, you should be able to complete and finish this task.
Front End submission plugin – How to
For example, on YouTube, any user or fellow can upload and submit his/her video on the site provided the person has a Gmail account.
This feature of being able to submit your video without the admin or owner doing it himself is called ‘Front End Submission’, some people calls it ‘Back end submission’. YouTube does this, Buzzfeed and all other major viral websites have this great feature.
This feature enables a site to grow in both awareness, traffic and money making because you are leveraging on the power of networking and people to bring about viral effects or viral traffic to your site.
If you want this feature that will enable people to register, sign up on your site and be able to upload and submit their videos, then you have to implement the steps below:
- First, go and get the front end submission plugin, you can get it here, ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/frontend-uploader/), ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/pipe-video-recorder/)this plugin handles all the task we are talking about.
- Install and activate the plugin as earlier discussed (read the tutorial above on how to install a plugin).
- After installation and activation, go to the plugin settings page and set it properly; for example, telling the plugin not to allow automatic or immediate publishing of any submitted video without your approval etc.
If you need help, just reach out to me. NB: Most of the themes already has this feature, ( for example, all the ones I listed above)
Promoting the New site
This is time for you to promote and market the site with all the energy and enthusiasm in you. I understand that it is not easy, but if you can pass through the pain and hassle now, then you will start enjoying success on the longer term.
Three principal and proven ways to promote a video website to get traffic and awareness are:
- Promoting new site using Guest Posting
- Getting Aggressive on Social Media – Leveraging on FB, Instagram, YouTube and twitter
- Networking with influencers for massive exposure and popularity
Promoting new site using Guest Posting
Guest posting is essential for two primary purposes:
- SEO advantage i.e. being able to rank very high in the Google SERPs (search engine rank pages)
- Getting immediate traffic and exposure
Guest posting is just writing on other people’s blog and website with a purpose of getting dofollow backlinks to your own site. Guest posting is hard and difficult, the best way to handle it is for you to simply outsource it to the professionals.
If you need help, just reach out to me.
Getting Aggressive on Social Media – Leveraging on FB, Instagram, YouTube and twitter
Immediately your site is live, the next thing you need to do is to have a presence on major social media networks.
It has been proven that videos receives lots of traction, attention and traffic most on social media than just images, pictures or text.
So, your natural habitat or place to get success and traffic is social media networks.
- Using your domain name, go on Facebook, Instagram and same YouTube; open a free account on all of them.
- Now, complete the profile on each of the networks; including detailed profile description, perfect images for both profile and backgrounds.
- Invite people to like your page, follow you, be your fan etc.; you can start with people around you.
- After this, spend some money to get more likes and followers on both Facebook and Instagram (focus heavily on Instagram, followed by Facebook).
- Then start sharing your videos on them systematically, do not spam their networks please. Only share original videos and not duplicated videos.
Now, let me tell you some secret;
Go and check out the Facebook pages of YouTube and some other video websites out there, including Buzzfeed.
They have incredible amounts of likes and followers, how did they get all those numbers?
By investing massively doing adverts on Facebook and also, by working with influencers!!
This brings me to the next step.
Networking with influencers for massive exposure and popularity
Influencers are individuals are massive followers, fans and likes on social media networks. For you to be categorized as an influencer, it means you should have more than 300,000 followers.
Smart video website owners do not only place advert on Facebook and Instagram, they also work with influencers who helps them to promote their video to their followers.
E.g JennaMarbles (real name Jenna Mourey) for example has more than 17 Million subscribers; Felipe Neto has more than 18 million subscribers.
This method is good, quick and has proven to yield a good ROI (return on investment).
How will you locate the influencers?
You simply need to look and search for them on the social media networks; however, one quick way to do that is:
- Go to Facebook
- Search for Facebook group that relates to your niche
- Join nothing less than 20 Facebook groups
- Locate the admin ( the main admin)
- Be a friend to the admin
- Submit your proposal to the admin and see if both of you can work together!!
Do this same process for YouTube and Instagram!!
How to make money from a video website
One of the best ways to make money from a video website is by signing up for a YouTube Google Adsense account.
Other proven ways and methods are:
- Affiliate companies
- Signing up with web cam companies and promoting their stars
- Selling your products
- Offering direct advertisement to companies etc.
This tutorial is really lengthy, I hope you find it helpful, resourceful and informative. Please if you do, kindly help me by:
- Linking back to this article/tutorial
- Sharing it on Facebook and twitter
- Bookmarking it on your phone, browser, PC or laptop so that you can easily come back to it and read more.
- Telling your friends and colleagues about this tutorial
NB: need any help, just reach out to me.