Learn how to build a medical website for independent working doctors, nurses, health professionals, and even hospitals. This tutorial teaches you how to build and create a mobile responsive website design for this niche.
Steps to Create A Medical Website
Before you launch and decide to build such a site, please know that the approximate starting cost is USD150-400. This is a condensed and practical tutorial that discusses how to build and create such a website, how to make it successful, and strategies to make it popular, using SEO, social media.
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
The following are the steps to take to create a medical website:
Step 1: Buy A Medical WordPress themes
The first task I would love to discuss is the issue of having a professionally looking, mobile responsive design that will give you positive conversions. Having such a feature is essential to making a medical related website.
This tutorial is aimed to empower you to do everything by yourself without spending thousands of dollars to an unreliable website developer who at the end of the day will frustrate you and hold you hostage.
To design a medical website now, the most recommended method is the use of WordPress software. With WordPress, even a medical doctor can design and come up with his/her site. WordPress is open-source software and it presently powers about 30% of websites globally ( March 2020 data).
You do not need to understand any line of code or programming language; the most effective and recommended way is to buy and purchase premium, highly professionally designed WordPress themes from reputable companies.
The following are specialized themes if you are considering a hospital or clinic website design:
If you are considering a medical consultancy website or a health-related site, check out the following templates:
You can get these themes for as low as USD45-USD120 from the following reputable and recommended companies:
When you check the above companies, just check out the various templates, view the demos, and decide on which one will fit perfectly into your project.
The overall suggestion is that you buy these templates and you download what is called the ZIP files to your computer. The downloaded ZIP file contains the WordPress file which we are going to upload to bring your site to life.
How you will do this and handle everything is discussed elaborately as you continue reading this lengthy tutorial.
Features expected in a medical website
Whether it is a hospital website design or a web design for an independent doctor, consultant surgeon, hospital, or any health practitioner; there are important features that the site design should have.
Out of ten people browsing and surfing the net, 8 out of 10 are doing so right from their mobile phones; and the amazing aspect of it is that this trend is bound to continue as the population of people using mobile phones to surf the internet is increasing on a daily basis.
In other words, it is imperative and highly important that your medical website should be able to be viewed when a visitor is using any android phone or any type of mobile device. This feature is what is called mobile responsiveness.
Being mobile responsive means that your site will adapt and be viewed perfectly on any mobile device, displaying full details/information without the visitor having to strain their eyes or scroll up and down.
A medical or health website should have these important features; and the recommended templates (WordPress themes) mentioned above or from the recommended companies are all mobile responsive.
Retina Ready with SEO Advantages
A WordPress theme is a retina ready when you are able to upload videos and upload high-quality pictures; Not only that, the appearance should look glossy, sharp and professionally looking.
When you want to build or design a medical website, please know that first impression matters a lot.
SEO means search engine optimization; a well-built website should have standard SEO settings and features present in it. Without SEO, your medical website will not rank very well on the search engine pages.
Real-Time Chat Features
I think we should not debate about this; customers love the comfort and easy access to getting their demands met. This approach has been proving to be one of the winning formulae of popular brands and companies.
Whether you are a consultant, health practitioner, or a hospital; having real-time chat features gives an added advantage. This means that visitors and customers can be able to reach you by chatting with you real-time, you get their messages instantly on your PC/Laptop/mobile phones and you are able to reply to them instantly. This feature is a must to have.
When you are about to create a medical website, you need to have the real chat features in your overall design and launch!!
Schedule/Book Your Appointments
One of the known features or common language of any hospital and clinic is the word ‘appointments.
When people visit your hospital website or medical consulting site, they should be able to place appointments directly on the site and be guaranteed of securing the appointments.
This feature is a must to have on the website and how to get it done is discussed as we progress.
All the features expected on a website as listed above is possible with the use of what is called WordPress plugins. How to get it done, install the plugins, activate it, and actually put it to work is discussed further below.
Step 2: Get A Domain Name
The second step to take when creating a medical website is to get a domain name. The domain name is the name of the site and registering for it shows you are actually serious about this project.
It is important to note that this name is what people type on the browser and if it is registered and hosted, then your site comes live.
When thinking about the name of your site and the domain name, you should know that the name should be unique, short, and memorable, free from numbers, etc. it is recommended to use the name of your already established hospital or profession.
In addition, the name will also be used to open free accounts on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc. So, your primary task is to sit down and actually write down suggested names you think will be ideal for you.
Once done with this, you will need to check if the name penciled down can be used as your domain name or whether it is not being currently used by someone else.
To check for the domain name, I suggest and recommend you make use of the Bluehost domain name checker form below.
If the name is available, please do not waste time, grab and register it immediately.
Step 3: Buy Website Hosting
To host your website means you are putting your domain name and the contents you are about to upload on a web server; however, this web server is not free, you will need to buy a space to accommodate the contents you want to put inside the domain name.
This concept is called website hosting; web hosting of a site is the most significant step when you want to open a medical website for a hospital, a medical doctor, or a health practitioner.
You are not going to stress yourself with the hosting technicalities because during the domain registration on the Bluehost Webhosting company, the Bluehost system guides and gives you options on hosting the name. If you are ready, then go ahead, but if not, just pay for the domain registration.
However, it is recommended to purchase the hosting on Bluehost because doing so gives you the privilege of getting the domain name free (you save USD18)
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
Use the template you boughtFew things to remember and keep in mind;
- During the hosting registration, I recommend you chose a 2-3 year hosting package.
- If the registration and the purchase of the hosting package are successful, you will be asked to create a password; this password is for the Bluehost login (not the WordPress login). Remember that your Bluehost username is your domain name.
- Keep this info secure, either inside your diary or the notepad on your laptop or PC.
The next step that follows is the setup and installation of WordPress software that will power the site.
Step 4: WordPress Installation ( Themes/Plugins)
WordPress is the software needed to create the medical website and have it running, though, there are many programs and software’s out there but the choice of WordPress far supersedes others.
- First, WordPress (WP) is an open-source software powered by more than 100 professional programmers who are dedicated to its advancement on an everyday basis
- It is the easiest software than anybody can use to build a professionally looking site, without knowing anything about programming.
After the successful purchase of the hosting packages, you will be guided on the installation of the software, follow the guidelines below:
- You will be asked to select a particular theme (various templates will be displayed), simply skip this because we are going to be making use of the professional themes you purchased earlier.
- Chose the WordPress software (W Logo), and click on start building
- At this stage, the installation of the software will be done in the background and you do not have to worry yourself at all.
- You will be brought to your dashboard which is like the engine room of the site for maintenance and configuration
- Click on Business kind of WordPress ( since you are into a business); then launch it
- However, after the launch, this is now time for us to get serious about the whole design and adjustment. Let’s get started.
Mandatory WordPress Plugins Installation / Activation
In building a site for a hospital or for a medical doctor/health practitioner, the site will not have full functions not until there are essential plugins installed and activated.
Now that we have installed WordPress and your site is almost 70% ready, we need to start installing and activating important features and elements.
WordPress plugins are the main essential elements that actually powers a WordPress software; with a plugin, you can turn your site into things unimaginable, you can convert and give functions to the site beyond your wildest dreams.
Instead of writing codes for anything you want, plugins are used for such purposes, reducing stress and headache on you. The following are essential plugins that you need to install now.
- Yoast SEO plugin: For SEO purposes.
- W3 Total Cache: It automates a faster loading speed of the site.
- Akismet: essential for security
- Jetpack plugin: Very much important; it serves a multifunctional task.
- Sumo plugin: Excellent option for social media icons and sharing options.
- Real-time (online) chat plugin: The name explains it all; highly recommended if you sincerely want your medical website to be successful.
- Mobile responsive contact form plugin: Contact Form 7 is recommended; but I prefer the JetPack plugin feature (just activate the jetPack plugin by linking with wordpress.com, publish normal contact page and it will be shown, see the image below).
- Booking an appointment: This plugin is handy for this task ( to search for the plugin); however the best option for this feature is to simply create a page for it, give it the title ‘ Book an appointment’, and make sure you place it in the primary menu ( explained further below).
If you need you a function that I did not mention, simply search for the plugin for this task by going to https://www.wordpress.org/, go to the plugins repository and search for it.
Step 5: Build A Medical Website ( Set-Up)
For easy understanding and the sake of the purpose we have in mind, I will be making use of the WordPress themes below as an example.
Being on Google search console for indexing purposes
Once you are done with all the above-mentioned tasks, then I can say your hospital website is truly ready for the World Wide Web and you should be expecting visitors to the site.
However, this is where the real and main challenge is; and the first step to overcoming this challenge is to get indexed on Google and other search engines.
- Open a free account on Google search console with a dedicated Gmail email (or you can use your Gmail account); Google search console is www.google.com/console
- Follow the on-screen instructions to verify your site
- Submit your sitemap to Google search console
All the points mentioned above are the technical details in setting up your medical website, this stage discusses the practical steps you need to take to make the site become successful, especially if you are an independent doctor or health practitioner.
Step 7: Site Promotion / Awareness
Nobody knows your new medical website, nobody knows about the new hospital website that you have created. The next step is on how you need to promote and create awareness, both for people and the search engines so that people/visitors can start visiting/engaging with the site.
The following are steps you can take to promote your new medical website:
- Join Medical related online forums and groups
- Invest in guest posting
- Get engaged with social media ( Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
- Be an active blogger
- Network, Network, and finally, Network!!
Joining medical-related Forums
Just search Google search for medical-related forums and you will see different types, join them, and get active with your contributions, suggestions, comments, etc.
Investing in Guest Posting
Guest posting works in two ways:
You get exposure for your website and get targeted visitors back to your site
It offers search engine optimization advantages because you gain dofollow backlinks back to your website.
The idea is that you write and contribute powerful blog posts on related medical blogs/sites with a link back to your site.
To get the best out of Guest posting, I honestly recommend you outsource the task to professional freelance writers so that you will focus on other things that matter to the website and your business.
Going on social media networks
This is not a new thing; it is a must you have an active presence on the following social media networks:
- LinkedIn: My first point of call, highly important
- Facebook: Open a Facebook page and get active; you can start by inviting your friends, family members, and colleagues, etc. to like your fan page. As it grows, you can invest little money for advertisements to get targeted likes/followers/fans.
- Twitter; Highly important, especially for SEO advantages
- Instagram; to publish and share pictures and images of your expertise etc.
Use your domain name to open free accounts on all these social networks; upload photographs of your profession as both profile and background pictures. Let your profile description be unique, captivating, and well detailed.
Blogging is a powerful tool to increase your website exposure on the internet and if effectively used, it is a powerful tool to help you succeed.
The art and concept of blogging are publishing informative and well-detailed posts about your medical profession, offering tips and solutions.
I recommend you read the following resource material on blogging;
- What is blogging; Read the resource material here
Network, network, network
Joining a related and important forum is a form of networking. Networking is highly important for maintaining a business relationship because no man is an island.
This same concept applies to the world of online business. Take time to search for important forums and blogs.
I have listed the steps you need to take:
- Join related groups/boards on LinkedIn
- Join related communities on Google+
- Join related groups on Facebook
- Go to these social media networks and search for boards, communities, and groups respectively.
I believe this guideline is more than enough to guide you on how to create and build a medical website for a hospital or a medical-related practitioner.
This guide is both handy if you are a website designer or if you want to do it all by yourself. WordPress has really made life easy and it is a good thing you give it a try.
Need any help, simply reach out to me. Thanks