The estimated cost to build and for creating a construction website for a building company, civil engineering Company and Steel Construction Company, etc., business, or for an entrepreneur is roughly USD150-350 for a year (using WordPress); after one year, maintenance cost falls roughly between USD 60 – USD 250 per year.
This tutorial focuses on two important issues:
- If you want to rebuild or redesign your present construction company website
- If you are just about to get a new site for the company
The construction website encompasses the following niche:
- Civil engineering
- Road Construction
- Furniture Construction company
Table of Contents
- What is WordPress and Why WordPress?
- Getting all facts and information ready
- Getting the right WordPress themes design template
- Getting Domain Name Registration
- Web Hosting for the domain name
- WordPress software installation and configuration
- Practical set up teachings with videos and pictures
- Maintenance of the site- Dos and Don’t
- Getting indexed for organic traffic
- Attract traffic – Social media influence
- Power of PPC Marketing- Using and leveraging on it
What is WordPress and Why WordPress?
WordPress is not just a website building software, but it is a global and highly respected open source software known for its security, ease of use for non-coders/programmers and the unmatched CMS ( Content Management System) features if offers.
It is one of many software one can use to build a blog or site, but it is the best and mostly recommended; approximately 30% of sites/blogs worldwide are built using WordPress ( March 2018 report)!!
In this teaching, we are going to make use of WordPress software and its accompanying tools to create our desired projects. The accompanying tools are basically:
- WordPress themes – Ready-made professionally designed website templates
- WordPress plugins – the very heart of WordPress; they made WordPress to be the desired software. You can do anything practically possible on your site by just installing and activating the right plugin for that task.
Getting all facts and information ready
Planning is just everything; when you have such task at hand, you need to get all your information and facts correctly. Examples are listed below:
- The pictures and videos to use; the pictures and images should be high quality. If possible, you may request for new pictures or take another one with a good camera
- Information you are going to publish about the company in the ‘About’ page
- Details of what the civil engineering company or building construction does
- What about their services/task completed etc.
Think and write down all facts and things you will need.
Getting the right WordPress themes design template
Do not worry or trouble yourself with coding or trying to program any machine language to build the site. The answer is in the use of WordPress.
Now, we are going to make use of premium WordPress themes from reputable and respected companies.
However, I have listed few of the themes for each task for you to check and view the demo:
WordPress themes for building Construction company business ( it also includes the preferred templates for civil, furniture engineering etc.).
You can get these themes from the following recommended companies;
When you check these companies or the above mentioned designs, you must view the different templates and select the best one for your use.
After you are satisfied on a particular pick, you will need to buy (cost is typically between USD30-120, and it is forever, except few ones that ask for yearly renewal at a cost of about USD5-20).
After making the purchase, you will download the ZIP file (this file contains the core WordPress file for the design and it also contains other information’s e.g. instructions and also the demo file if you want the demo).
Getting Domain Name Registration
The domain name registration is an important factor in this project, without having a registered domain name, there is no way the site can be online.
Examples of domain names are: facebook.com, cnn.com, twitter.com, google.com, baidu.com etc.; so with this mindset, you need to get a domain name for that construction company.
The best advice is to use the already established name of that company as the domain name e.g; Microsoftengineering.com, cat.com, webuild.com, bluerailengineering.com etc.
Having this at the back of your mind, you will now need to check and verify if that name can be used or whether it is being used by another company or business.
To check, verify and register your domain name, I recommend that you make use of the Bluehost domain name checker form below:
For this task:
- Try as much as possible to make sure the name is not more than 15 word count
- If the name is available, do not waste time, register it IMMEDIATELY.
Once the registration is being processed, then we can move to the next phase, which is the web hosting of that domain name.
Web Hosting for the domain name
Before your website can be called a functioning website whereby people can see it live on the internet, you will need to host the domain name. It is after you have hosted it that is when you can start uploading the design and contents.
Webhosting is the most important part of site development and without it, everything is in vain
I always use and recommend Bluehost Webhosting Company because of so many advantages in using them, some of the advantages includes but not limited to;
- Bluehost handles both the domain name registration, DNS settings, security and webhosting; everything occurs in one single platform. The DNS is very much important because other people buys domain name elsewhere and host it elsewhere, this is not a very good idea.
- Bluehost is dependable, economically friendly and mostly reliable
- I have been using them for the past 8 years; I use Bluehost on all my blogs and also for all the clients I am dealing with.
- They have excellent 24 hours customer care service; their customer care service staffs are dedicated, knowledgeable and always ready to assist
- They have an uncommon refund policy; if you cancel your hosting, they refund you money back to you without you having to call the cops or running to an insurance company.
- And, they are very generous; they make it possible for you to save about USD18 which is the cost of the domain name if you decide to host the domain name with them. I think this is a win-win situation and very much ideal.
Follow the guidelines below to host your site:
I honestly recommend you host your site with BLUEHOST NOW.
WordPress software installation and configuration
Once the hosting is successfully approved and done, the next thing is the installation of the WordPress software that will power the site.
Bluehost also handles this process for you in a seamless and stress free manner; all you have to do is to simply follow the online screen instructions and everything will be done within 5-10 minutes.
For practical demonstration for your understanding, the following screen shots will be helpful to you:
The following are summary of what you need to do, know and take note of:
- New password creation
- Select a design (I recommend you ignore this stage because the templates there are not fitting for the construction websites we are talking about- )
- Start the installation process, WordPress will be shown to you, accept this option and activate the installation processing
- Chose business (your dashboard i.e. settings area will be displayed)
The following are mandatory stuffs you need to know and keep the record;
- When I talk about the URL address of your site, I am talking about this format i.e. yoursitename.com ; it is mostly in that format.
- There is also a difference between the terms ‘WordPress login’ and ‘Bluehost Login; WordPress login enables you to access your site from the web browser. It is made up of username and password, the username is ‘admin’ or your email ID and the password is being created as you are installing the software. Your WordPress login is in this format; yousitename.com/wp-admin , it is this format address you will type on your web browser and the login page ( shown below) will be displayed to you
Please, do not forget this important info.
- Now, for the Bluehost login, it is not the same as that of the WordPress login; bluehost login is opened automatically for you after registering the domain and the successful purchase of the webhosting packages. You only make use of bluehost login whenever you want to get access to your hosting account details or speak to customer care representatives.
- Your bluehost login contains the username and the username is your domain name while the password is created doing the hosting processing. To access your login, this is the URL address, bluehost.com
It is important you understand the above facts and be clear about it. Now, to begin with the editing and configuration, I recommend you login to your WordPress dashboard afresh.
To do that, type www.yoursitename.com/wp-admin/ on the web browser, enter your username and password, then you will be brought to your dashboard as seen below.
Practical set up teachings with videos and pictures
Depending on the particular niche you are focused on, we are going to the full practical design and configuration tutorial.
Whether it is the building, civil engineering, aluminum or road construction website we are talking about, they are all going to pass through this set up stages; the only difference is the type of pictures you are going to use for your own niche and also some details that may be different.
The following are what we are going to discuss about:
- Installation of the purchased WordPress themes
- Header, footer and Logo Adjustment/ Settings
- Menu Set Up
- FrontPage Design- pictures and other details ( Set up Guidelines)
- How to get your pictures and videos uploaded
- Importance of the Widgets ( How to and set up instructions)
- Pages, category and post set up instructions
- Understanding Permalinks and its settings
- WordPress plugins – Importance and installations
Now, for a detailed explanation on each;
Step 7 (1)
Installation of the purchased WordPress themes
If you check above, I recommended some mobile responsive themes (templates) for you to buy, it is now time for us to upload them.
If you have not make any purchase of any of these themes, I recommend you scroll up and check the various templates and also where you can buy them from.
We have two options;
- Uploading the themes, activating them and start getting to work
- Uploading the demo contents (this is usually the faster and easy way for you)
Either, let us get started;
- Go to your dashboard, locate appearance, and under appearance, click on themes
- Click Add new themes; on the themes page, forget about the various displayed options ; click on the upload button, look for that ZIP file you download, click on it and upload it
- Within 2-10 minutes, the upload will be completed, then click on activate to make it become active.
- Click save, exit the page
- Go to your site i.e. nameofsite.com , refresh the page and behold you will see the new design there.
Watch this video below:
Sometimes the upload may take time and never get uploaded; there are two reasons for this. It is either the internet connection is slow, in such a case retry it.
Second reason might be because of other files present in the ZIP file. You will notice this if the installation is taking more than 10 minutes or is failing all the time. To correct this, you will need to go to the ZIP file and UNZIP it, when you UNZIP it, bring out the only WordPress file present there. Then you will repeat the upload process again, but this this, the source is no longer the ZIP file, but the ‘only WordPress files’ you have separated.
I told you earlier about the two options we have on this particular task, the second option is to upload the demo. This makes sense and it makes the whole stuff becomes easy and seamless. To upload the demo contents makes your site to look exactly like the purchased templates.
Follow the guidelines below:
- Upload the themes normally (explained above)
- UNZIP the ZIP file and bring out the demo file; it is mostly in. XML extension
- Go to tools (seen on the dashboard, look at the right hand side), click on import; on the import page, you will be asked to install a plugin, you will need to install the import plugin, then after the installation, you make it active.
- Please note that this plugin is just for this purpose, after this purpose, you will remove the plugin (therefore, forget about any warning sign that may be popping up).
- The import plugin will ask you what you want to import, instruct the plugin to import the .XML file and it will be done
- Make all attributes to the ‘Admin’ or yourself
- Within 10 minutes, all the demo contents will be uploaded and your site will look like the templates you bought.
- The imported demo contents contains all settings, pages, categories etc.
- Most images and pictures may not be imported, you will need to fix this manually.
I recommend you watch the video below:
Once you have successfully uploaded and fix the templates issue, then we move to the next stage.
Step 7 (2)
Header, footer and Logo Adjustment/ Settings
The above is an example of what a header means.
Now, we have to edit the header and make it perfect for your site. The header contains the following;
- The logo
- The Menu
- Brief description ( something called byline, below the logo)
To edit the header, go to:
- The widget settings
- The WordPress dashboard directly.( theme options itself)
The widget, picture seen below, can be seen under the ‘appearance’; click on it and you will be taken to the settings page.
When you get there, you will see everything clearly and how to handle each task one by one. Details on widgets below.
The second method is editing everything right from the dashboard because most themes will have what is called ‘themes option’. You will see this in the dashboard yourself and from there, all settings are present.
The same concept applies to the logo, everything you need to know about the size will be openly displayed there and you can simply copy and paste or edit.
For the Footer, the footer is seen below:
Using the example of the footer image above, you will see that the footer is simply the bottom or base of the entire website.
You can spy on your competitor’s website to have an idea of how to handle your footer. Study the widgets very well and you will be surprised at how easy everything is.
One thing you should know is that the header (including its content) and footer (including its contents) are all constant throughout the entire websites pages. So, it is important you maximize the conversion opportunities there.
This can be achieved majorly by making use of the most important element in them and that is the menu, this brings us to the next step.
Menu Set Up
The menu is an important element of the header, it gives meaning to the contents of your website because it is the main navigation links to all nooks and corners of the entire website.
In practical sense, the menu should contain only important links and pages. For example, it should contain only the following:
- Home (homepage)
- About (This page contains everything about your business, what your company does, task achieved etc)
- Investors Page
- Our Products/Services
The above is not limited (these are the ones I am able to remember right now); however, the point is that only put important pages that can place / point your business straight to visitors.
The menu is into twofold:
To have a full understanding on how to create a menu and the working operations of the menu, I recommend you watch the videos below:
FrontPage Design- pictures and other details (Set up Guidelines)
Using the example below (assuming we are using this template):
To edit the FrontPage, it is possible either:
- Using the theme options ( earlier explained)
- From the widgets
- From the homepage
From the dashboard, locate the theme options/panel (though not all themes have this, you have to check and see if it is present on the dashboard). If it is present, editing the FrontPage becomes very easy because the links and how to do it will be stated there.
From the widgets; this is one of the easiest way because it is just a matter of clicking and editing straightaway.
From the homepage, it will contain the edit icon link; just locate this, click on it and you start editing the contents to what you want.
In the case of the pictures and videos, you must first upload these details to the media section of the dashboard before using it. This takes us to the next level.
How to get your pictures and videos uploaded
Uploading your pictures and videos is very easy; first, watch the video below on how to get this done.
Importance of the Widgets ( how to and set up instructions)
The widget is arguably the most important building elements in the WordPress dashboard. Without the widgets, there are many things that will not be done, for instance, the header, sidebars, FrontPage, Social media links etc.
This is the widget setting page of my blog (the blog you are reading presently)
As you can see, I am able to carry out the following task:
- Fix my FrontPage settings, including the description etc.
- I am able to fix and adjust the sidebar settings.
- I am able to adjust the social media icons for sharing and fans.
- Carry out lots of task e.g. for the header and also for the footer.
- Once you are able to study and master the widgets, you will be able to do anything you want on the site.
- Again, most plugins you are going to install and activate, you will still need to come to the widgets settings and carry out the expected task on them.
Most of the actions you will be carrying out on the widget to build a construction website is just drag and drop. You will drag the expected elements and drop it in the section needed.
Pages, category and post set up instructions
With the uploaded demo contents, you already have some pages published, so also the publication of some posts.
Check the pages settings area and look for the pages that have been published, delete the ones that are not relevant to you, edit/adjust the ones that mattes to you and create new ones that has not been published.
The following are important pages you need to create and publish (the ones I can remember at the moment).
- Home (this is by default)
- About (This page contains everything about your business, what your company does, task achieved etc.)
- Investors Page
- Our Products/Services
To create a page, do this;
- From your dashboard, locate page;
- Click on ‘Add new page’; give it a title and publish
That it all!!
Step 7 (8)
Understanding Permalinks and its settings
The permalinks settings is important due to the search engine preference of indexing. Though, it is a little bit technical, but no worries.
Let me explain using pictorial understanding:
The above illustrations are the perfect definition of what a permalink represents; by default, the WordPress software chose the first one i.e. date based archive/URL structure. However, when it comes to search engine optimization, this is not the best. Though, they mean the same thing because they contain the same content, but the URL structure is different to the search engines.
So, you are required to change this default settings from the date based structure to a name based structure.
To do, follow these steps:
- From your dashboard, go to settings, just after ‘tool’; under settings, you will see permalinks
- Go to permalinks and carry out the recommended change I just told you about.
- Click save and exit the page.
Step 7 (9)
WordPress plugins – Importance and installations
WordPress software has accompanying tools that makes it to be a powerful open source software. One of the accompanying tool is WordPress themes, the second one is WordPress plugin.
Without a plugin, a WordPress is not complete. In other words, we are going to install and activate required plugins so that your construction website for civil engineering, road, housing, furniture etc. can fully work.
Instead of using codes, we will be using these plugins to carry out anything you want on the site.
In addition to the above mentioned plugins, the following plugins are plugins you can install to further boost the activities and functions on the site.
Real time (online) chat plugin: This plugin makes it possible for visitors to contact and connect with you in an instant messaging mode. They will be able to chat with you, you will get the chat messages on your PC/Mobile phone (depending on the settings you chose) and also be able to respond to them instantly.
Very handy and highly recommended for the astute business website owners!!
- Contact Form 7: Very good, though the same task it will do, the JetPack plugin mentioned above will also do the same task. if you link your jetpack to a free wordpress.com acccount, then it means you have activated your Jetpack plugin and by default, the contact form is present on all posts and pages ( in the edit mode).
If you need any plugin for any task, just go to their repository at www.wordpress.org; go to plugins and search for the particular one you require.
The next step you need to know now is on how to install and activate these plugins; to do that, there are two ways:
- Downloading the ZIP files of the particular plugin and uploading it
- Searching for the plugin from the plugin page on your dashboard and installing it straight
The second option is the best and easiest route (from my own personal preference).
Follow the image below for your understanding
However, I also recommend you watch the video below:
This is everything you need to know to build and create a functioning site, if you need help or assistance, do reach out to me.
Maintenance of the site- Dos and Don’t
Unlike depending on a web designer for the maintenance of the site, you can do it all by yourself.
For a WordPress powered website like yours, the only maintenance you will be doing on it is to simply give instructions/approve any update that is available on:
- Your purchased themes
- The plugins you installed
That is all!!
And to do that, just login to your WordPress dashboard, and approve the updates (it will be displayed to you that some items needs to be updated).
Getting indexed for organic traffic
Building the site is different, making people and the search engines to know about it is a different issue.
However, let me show you what you need to do after setting up the site on Google.
- Go to Google search console at www.google.com/console , open a free account
- Submit your new construction website and get it verified
To get a site verified in Google search console, watch the video below:
That is all! Once you get it done, submit your sitemaps and you are good to go. I also recommend you install the Yoast SEO plugin, use it to submit your sitemaps and make use of the ‘fetch as’ tool from Google ( excellent for faster indexing of your website).
Attract traffic – Social media influence
You need to get on board LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ and twitter. These are powerful, global social networking website that you must be present and active on.
Just go to each site, open a free account with them and get active.
If you need help and assistance, do reach out to me. I will be glad to be of great support.