How to open a porn website: This is an extensive tutorial on how to build and make an adult website like xvideos.com, pornhub.com, xhamster.com, youporn, xnxx etc. Please know that this guideline is comprehensive ( you can also run this niche as a news website for the adult niche industry, updating and posting latest developments in the sector) and it is aimed to actually fortify you with practical step by step guidelines on how to start, open a successful erotic site and make money.
To start to open a porn website, you need the following briefs;
- Approximate starting cost between USD200-500
- A video WordPress themes/templates that is mobile responsive for the design
- A stylish and short word count domain name that is memorable
- A strong and secure webhosting company to handle traffic (especially unexpected spike in traffic)
- Installation and activation of WordPress software
- Hard Work , determination and massive initial promotion
Table of Contents
Set Up Guideline
- The perfect video website design – Concepts and templates to use
- Registering the domain name
- Getting on board a good webhosting server
- Installing the enabling software- perfect for data storage, management and PHP operations
- Site set up and full configurations ( Must Read)
- Compress your video before Upload ( size reduction)
- How to maintain the site
- Getting indexed on Google for traffic and exposure
- Blogging on the site – Purpose and how to
Success Tips and Promotion
- How to get traffic from Day One of launch
- Using Twitter and Instagram ( Social Media)
- Reaching out to Porn stars for promotion on their social networks and to followers
- Creation of dummy account users to boost exposure and engagement
How to make money from a porn and adult website
- Subscription based model – How to implement it and collect money
- Affiliate marketing – affiliation with cam models
- Direct advertisements (medically related companies)
- How to force viewers to pay and you make the money
Design- use of WordPress Themes
One thing you should clearly know and understand is that 93% of people watching porn or adult movies does so from the convenience of their mobile phones and gadgets.
This development has clearly caused a paradigm shift in the way and manner a website should be designed.
In this tutorial, I am recommending and presenting to you the use of ready-made premium WordPress themes that are mobile responsive, retina ready and light coded ( they load fast on web browsers and also on mobile phones). We are simply going to get these templates and use them for the overall objective.
The following are recommended templates for your consideration:
You can get them from the recommended companies below ( just search using the keyword ‘video’ when you visit the sites below).
From my own experience, I prefer the video template from Mythemeshop, not just because it is multipurpose and has about three versions but because it is perfect for the task at hand and also Mythemehop company has remained reliable, dependable and versatile as a company to me and most clients.
Most of these templates cost USD45-USD120; once you get the perfect template for your choice, remember to download and keep it safe on your PC/Laptop, we are going to upload and install these file to commence with the whole set up process.
The next step after the purchase is explained below i.e. domain name registration.
Registering the domain name
Just look at the following names:
They are all examples of domain names, I have seen some new adult websites like africanporn.com etc.; my emphasis is that these are all examples of what I call the domain name.
The domain name is the identity and brand recognition of the site, and one peculiar thing about the above names is that they are mostly unique, stylish and easily memorable to remember.
This is the sort of concept you should have when thinking about giving your project a name and registering the domain name. You need to sort out some names, pencil them down and search for their availability if you can use them.
To do that, I have inserted the form below for you; the form is the domain name checker and verification form from Bluehost Webhosting Company.
With the above form, simply check for all type of names you are thinking about and the form will tell you if they are available to register or not available.
From my experience, if you see anyone that is available, still vacant, simply register it immediately and you know that it is yours forever and of course, you will be able to move to the next stage of the set up processes.
The domain name registration is the second most vital step you need to implement!!
Getting a reliable Webhosting
Pornhub ( recently rebranded, to a new domain for India users due to the Government ban) is the largest and most popular adult website in the world, followed by xvideos; the Alexa ranking is 27, and this means it is the 27th most visited/popular site in the world. This traffic is not only limited to pornhub alone, but also to the major sites summarized below ( as at September 2018):
- xvideos.com: Alexa ranking is 43 globally, and it is 46 in USA.
- xhamster.com: Alexa ranking is 60, and it is also 60 in USA alone
- pornhub.com: Alexa ranking is 27 globally and it is 14 in USA
- youporn.com: alexa ranking is 199 and it is 224 in USA
- xnxx.com: Alexa ranking is 76 and it is 76 in USA also
So, can you imagine the sort of traffic it will be getting in a day? I am sure they will be getting around 10 million plus traffic per day or even more than that.
Now, running and managing a porn website as you are about to do is not a child’s play; by the nature of videos, they are heavy and consumes lots of bandwidth and people from all walks of life watches them. So you need a reliable and highly dependable webhosting that will not cause downtime for your site. You need a server that will manage your expected thousands and probably millions of traffic per day. You need a webhosting that will handle unexpected spike in traffic.
From my experience, I can only recommend just one company with additional two companies (they are optional though): Bluehost Webhosting Company
Bluehost Webhosting Company is the perfect webhosting company for you, of course, their packages starts from USD 3.5.; however, this package will not be enough to handle your site traffic.
You will need a higher package ( I suggest you apply for a dedicated server as you start noticing increase in traffic).
Bluehost is reliable and it is a good thing to have a single webhosting company to handle both your domain name registration and webhosting of the same domain name.
Another factor you need to consider is that it is not wise to start a new website and you start paying huge amount of money per month. You need to manage your finances and upgrade as you are growing.
The other two webhosting companies I will recommend for this project are listed below:
Linode webhosting company is also good and cheap, however, you will need to be a technical person to set it up and manage it, if you do not know about server and all technical languages, python, java etc, you would not be able to use them).
Bluehost is still the preferred host because the above two are expensive; but with Bluehost, they handle the installation for you and manages your site with total security. I prefer them for some of the reasons listed below;
- They have an excellent, undisputed 24 hours customer support services
- They can be reached through phone calls, email and physical presence at their offices
- Their pricing model is fair and economically friendly to a starter
- Their hosting platforms are strong and secured, free of hacking
- They offer free features e.g. email addresses (even custom email address using your domain name etc.)
I honestly recommend Bluehost because you are just about to start; you need to manage your finances at the beginning and once the site starts growing, you can opt for bigger packages or a dedicated server.
Installing WordPress Software
WordPress software holds the record for the best website building software and also the best content management system.
Everything we are doing is hinge on WordPress; WordPress is an open source software managed by thousands of professionals all over the world. With WordPress, a novice can build a site and turn it to anything unimaginable.
Now, after you have hosted the site, Bluehost will ask your permission to install the WordPress software for you, accept the options and within minutes, the software will be installed and your baby site will be ready and live on the internet. You will be shown the image (it is actually your WordPress dashboard) below;
However, we still have a long way to go to upload, adjust and perfect everything. Find below some points you need to remember and keep.
- Remember your WordPress login URL address (this is the address you will need to login to in order to do anything on the site); the login address is like this, www.yoursite.com/wp-admin)
When you type the above on a browser, the image below will be shown
- You will require your username and password (username is your email address or admin); do not forget these facts.
Once you understand this, and you are inside your WordPress dashboard, it means your site is already done, I advise you clear your browser and login to your Dashboard (using above guideline); once you do this, then we are actually getting started to fix everything.
Do not get tired.
Site set up and full configurations (Must Read)
Do not lose focus, just follow my instructions and teachings; I will be making use of the theme/template below for the teaching. The following are areas/points I am going to explain;
- Uploading and installation of WordPress themes
- Upload and importation of demo contents
- Header, footer and Logo Settings
- The menu arrangement
- Permalinks re-arrangement and adjustment
- Installation of WordPress plugins
- Videos upload, pages and category set up
- FrontPage set up and arrangement
- Arranging the widgets
Step 5 (1)
Uploading and installation of WordPress themes
I honestly prefer the theme (example theme above) I am using for this tutorial, however, no matter the themes/template you have, we have to upload and install it.
To get this process done,
- Login to your dashboard
- Locate themes (present on top of the dashboard) or you check in ‘appearance’; click on ‘add new themes’
- On the themes page, click the upload box and upload the themes, locate the downloaded file (in ZIP format) and upload it. It should be done in about 10 minutes. If it exceeds this time, try it again and if the same problem occurs. It means the ZIP file contains more than the WordPress file needed, you will need to unzip the file and bring you the WordPress file and start the process again, but this time, it is the WordPress file you have separated that you will upload.
- Click on install and activate. It will be done
- Refresh the homepage and you will see the new changes
Watch this video to understand better.
Step 5 (2)
Upload and importation of demo contents
When you upload and import the demo content of the themes you bought, you make the whole process easy for you because you will just need to edit this information and replace with yours.
To upload and install the demo;
- Go to your dashboard
- Locate the Mythemeshop options/panel
- Click on it and locate ‘upload the demo
Now, this works for the theme I am using for this tutorial (because it is from Mythemeshop and this is typical for all themes from this company).
However, the general guideline to upload and import a demo is discussed below;
- First, unzip the downloaded themes you bought. You will need to unzip the zip file so as to see the contents
- After unzipping it, search for demo or xml file; this is the demo file we are going to upload and import
- Secondly, on your dashboard, go to tools, further below appearance; once you see tools, click on it and locate import, click on import
- On the import page, click on the import plugin, install and activate it
- After installation and activation, forget about any warning message, the plugin will import the demo file from the unzip folder and automatically imports everything
- Depending on the size of the demo contents, it may take about 30 minutes to 1 hour to have everything imported
- Now, go to your homepage, refresh it and the changes will be seen
NB: If the videos and pictures are not uploaded, you will need to handle that manually by yourself.
Watch this video on how to perfectly upload and import a demo content from WordPress themes
Now, if you get the demo stuff done, then your site is gradually picking up momentum, this brings us to the next step.
Step 5 (3)
Header, footer and Logo Settings
The image below is the header, footer and the logo; you can adjust and edit these features directly from the Mythemeshop options/panel.
But generally, editing the header and footer, including the logo can be done from:
- Themes options (Mythemeshop is an example, not all themes has it)
The widget settings (for example, this blog you are reading only has widgets for such, I go to widgets to make changes/editing on the header, footer and logo).
Now, the header is the top of the site and it is very important; the most important part of the header is the menu (which is discussed next).
The footer is the base of the site and by default, it contains some details that automatically updates by itself. In the footer you can place important pages etc. just like the image below.
You edit the footer also by going to the widgets and theme options.
Please, the logo is very important. You can use Photoshop, CorelDraw or even outsource to designers on fiverr to create logo for you.
The size and dimension of the logo is written in the theme options or the widgets; you can easily edit and upload your own logo by going to these places.
Step 5 (4)
The menu arrangement
As I mentioned before, the menu is the most important part of the header because it connects important pages together and also act as the main navigation to important categories, videos and pages on the site.
For example, see the menu of the example theme I am using
See the menu of pornhubdotcom below:
Do you notice how they arrange the menu?
I will recommend you adjust and set your menu just like the above established porn sites. To do that, the steps below are vital;
- If you upload and imported the demo, then your menu is already created
- You should have all your categories and pages already published.
- To have an idea on category (read the next post) or simply look at those of xvideos
- Go to your menu settings (check under appearance and click on the menu link/icon)
- Now, on the menu settings page (seen below using my own blog illustration), carefully look and check what you have already.
- Click on add new menu or click to edit already published menu; look towards the left hand side and move elements ( categories, pages and videos ) of interest to the menu by the right hand side
Remember to save anything you do. I recommend you watch the video below:
Step 5 (5)
Permalinks re-arrangement and adjustment
The default permalinks settings for your new site is not very good for Google indexing and Google SERP.
I advise you change it to a better structure. Permalink simply talks about the URL structure of your site and any published videos i.e. how they look on the browser.
To effect any changes, follow the image guideline below:
Change from default to a name based settings!!
Step 5 (6)
Installation of WordPress plugins
The following are recommended WordPress plugins that are compulsory for you to install and activate on the site.
Plugins are essential tools of the WordPress software and with a plugin, a code like task is totally eradicated. Instead of writing codes, you simply make use of plugin to solve the problem.
- Yoast SEO plugin: You still need to handle the SEO of your site, even though your niche is not dependent on Google for traffic.
- W3 Total Cache: A must have plugin to help with the load of the site. It automatically speeds up the loading time. Highly recommended plugin.
- Akismet Plugin: This niche brings together all type of people; get ready for spamming, however, this plugin is up to the task to stop them.
- Jetpack plugin: Very important WordPress plugin. A Must have!!
- Sumo plugin: For social media.
- Front End Submission Plugin: This allows users to join and register and they will be able to upload their own videos (homemade etc., just the way xvideos and others operate). You use this plugin if your theme does not have the Front end submission ( sometimes called user generated content) feature/button at the homepage.
- Video Compression plugin: You can try this plugin if it helps in reducing the size of your uploaded videos, however, I prefer the use of a desktop application to handle this separately.
These plugins are important but do not have too much plugins so that the server will not have too much load.
To install and activate these plugins, follow these steps:
- You can click on the link for each plugins above and download their ZIP files; it is these ZIP file that you are going to upload.
- Now locate plugins, click on add new plugins
- You can either upload the downloaded ZIP file for the particular plugin or you just use their name and search for it as shown below.
- So, either you upload or you use the search box, the on-screen instructions will guide you on the installation and activation.
You can also watch the video below:
Step 5 (7)
Videos upload, pages and category set up
Before I explain how to upload and start publishing videos either by you (the owner and administrator) or users (those who join through Front end submission button); let me quickly explain how to set up the categories and pages.
For example, look at the category of xvideosdotcom below;
Also, look at the category of the sample theme I am using;
Each published videos should come under a category as shown above. Now, you need to check your category page and check the category you have (since it was the demo we used).
Go to your dashboard, locate category (seen under the posts icon, click on it and you will the category settings page (shown below).
On that page, you will see the categories already imported; you can start adding more categories by spying.etc.
You can also create sub-categories
To do that, just follow the guidelines in the image above, on the settings page, give it a title, then click on add or publish.
Category creation is very simple. So, take your time to make sure you have all necessary categories in place. E.g. lesbian, gay, South Africa, homemade, amateurs, teen etc.
The following pages are important you have on the site;
- DMCA ( this is very important to avoid problem with the Law)
- Disclosure page
- Advertisement etc.
To create these pages, I advise you spy on xhamster, xvideos and copy out their own written words (of course, edit it to yours).
To publish a page, check out the pages you have already by going to the page settings area (shown below)
- Locate pages on the dashboard and click on it (the settings area will appear), click on add new page, follow the screen instructions and you can then publish it.
Step 5 (7)(1)
Because you want to run an adult site, there are three ways to upload a video:
- Through you ( the administrator)
- Through the users you have given privileges to either be the editor or contributor
- Through Users – using the front End submission button
Now, for point 1 and 2; you simply log into the dashboard and you will see the link that says upload a new video, follow the instructions and publish your videos.
Users – Front end users
This is the reason and secret why xvideos, xhamster, youporn, pornhub etc. became popular; they turn their site to an engaging community by allowing others to upload videos directly on it without them being there.
To accommodate this, just make sure your theme has the feature that will allow users to sign up and register directly from the homepage. If it is not present, just install the Front End submission plugin I mentioned earlier.
However, to get the best out of this, you need to put moderation in place so that user’s will not abuse the system. but if your template do not have this feature, the following plugins are recommended: https://wordpress.org/plugins/frontend-uploader/), ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/pipe-video-recorder/).
To fully understand this, read the comprehensive guideline I published in the article’ how to create a video website like youtube, check it here)
Step 5 (8)
FrontPage set up and arrangement
The FrontPage is the most significant place in the whole design. Videos on the FrontPage gets more views and attention than others.
For the entire FrontPage set up and arrangement, I discussed this step full practical guidelines on my earlier article on how to build and create a video website like YouTube, you can read in the earlier link above.
Step 5 (9)
Arranging the widgets
Full detail tutorial on the widgets, its importance and how to set it up can be read from the link above on YouTube video creation tutorial and also from the image below.
Compress your video before Upload (size reduction)
It is always recommended to turn your videos to MP4 or MPEG (they are the most popular video viewing extension).
Doing this help to reduce their size from the original size; however this is not enough, you need to take extra measure to reduce the size of the video you are about to upload.
I do not recommend installing the plugin that will reduce the size of your video that in itself will also causes heaviness on the site/server. However, if you wish, I recommend the following plugin:
The best way is to use desktop applications, download it on your PC/laptop and use it to reduce the size of your videos before uploading.
Various desktop applications exist, both free and premium; I encourage you to check Google and the internet to get the suitable one to use. But the following free tool is recommended ( I use it a lot):
This is an important measure you need to implement!
How to maintain the site
You maintain the site by:
- Checking the sort of videos posted and removing the low quality ones
- You also need to set up moderation in place that will not allow new videos from users to be automatically published, you need to approve each video before it goes live
- Monitoring updates schedule of your WordPress software versions, the WordPress themes and the installed plugins
- This is not difficult because you will be notified for an update alert so that you will be able to run the update. This is an automated feature and you need to stress yourself.
Getting indexed on Google for traffic and exposure
Despite the search engines stance on this type of niche websites, they are still indexed in Google and even showing up on the search result pages.
You need to follow the same path and make sure your site is recognized and indexed by Google. To do that, follow the steps below;
- Make sure you have installed and activate the Yoast SEO plugin
- Set up the plugin, you can read more about it here
- After this, go to google.com/console , and sign up
- After signing up, follow the on-screen instructions and submit your site (http://www.yoursite.com)
- After this, you will asked to verify your site, you can use the Yoast SEO plugin to verify or you can just watch the video below.
submit your sitemap and let Google index your site very fast, see the image below
We are now done with the technical details, the next step is the promotion and success strategies to make your adult website successful.
Success Tips / Promotion
How to get traffic from Day One of launch
There are practical and tedious steps you have to take to start getting traffic from day one. Forget about organic traffic or traffic from Google because in your own niche, you need it less.
These steps, if you follow them diligently, you will start getting thousands of traffic from day one.
Ready, let us proceed!!
- Make sure your site is fully ready, make sure the entire setting is properly put in place
- Upload and have new videos, have at least 200+ videos on your site. (If you do not have this, then I strongly suggest you go and do that NOW).
Now, if you have done that, this is the trick
- First go to xvideos.com and open a free account.
- Complete your profile with detailed information. In your about profile, insert a link to your site there.
- Xvideos and others will ask you to verify your profile before they can allow you to insert or have a link to your website from your profile
- Verify your site and pass through the verification (expect two days for them to get back to you).
Do everything in your power to have a link back to your website in your profile!!
Start uploading unique videos on xvideos, pornhub, xhamster and others, but not just videos; you will upload converting videos
This is how?
- Use any video editing software to edit the videos, on the video, insert the name of your website on it as seen below:
xvideosdotcom example of video having link out ( senepornodotcom)
- Or on some videos, do not show the entire clip, use the video editing software to stop the video at the most interesting part and replace with ‘watch the remaining part at www.nameofyoursite.com’.
If you do this, you will be surprised at the massive flow of traffic your site will start receiving.
Continue reading and see more promotional methods I have explained below.
Step 9 (1)
Using Twitter and Instagram (Social Media)
When it comes to running an adult website, Facebook is the wrong place to use for the promotion because their algorithms will not send you a single traffic. The algorithm filters out any adult keywords.
From experience, the best social media network that is effective in sending massive traffic to your site is:
- Instagram ( but to a lesser degree because Facebook owns Instagram)
This is what you will do;
Go to twitter and open a free account for the site, complete the profile, insert the link of your site in the profile space for website, upload the logo of the site etc.
However, this is where you need to work hard.
Start following people in this niche; you need to target and reach out to twitter influencers in this niche. Twitter influencers are people with great number of followers (most of them has followers from 200,000 to even 100 million).
Follow this people, start engaging with them by retweeting their images and even videos, like their tweets and even mention them in your own tweets. Examples of these twitter influencers are listed below:
Start with these process as a news starter until you start gaining ground and momentum.
Do the same process for Instagram, however, from experience, focus on the use of twitter most often.
Step 9 (2)
Reaching out to Porn stars for promotion on their social networks and to followers
This trick works and it works great. How and where will you see and get these porn stars?
Go to the same xvideos.com, xhamster.com, youporn.com and even pornhub.com; they have a section or category called porn stars.
Check them out, contact them, give them some offers; invite them to join your site and give them a good proposal/deal that will make them to accept you and want to promote your new site for you.
Engage with them with a view to having them promote your site on their social media networks and also to their followers.
Though, not all of them will accept you or your offer, but there is no harm in trying. You never know until you try.
Step 9 (3)
Creation of dummy account users to boost exposure and engagement
This depends on your choice and the type of site you actually want to build. For example, if you want an engagement community like xvideos and others where users can sign up/register and upload videos/stuffs, then you will need to use this trick.
However, if you just want a site where you will be the only one managing and uploading videos, then no need for this strategic trick.
However, if you want the first option, it is always a good idea to have a full, functioning site to viewers and visitors.
You will attract more people if they see that people are already active on the site. They will naturally be encouraged to also join, create a profile and upload their own videos also.
So, how do you do this?
- Make sure your theme has the Front End submission feature/button for users to sign up/register. The button/icon is usually present on the homepage or the header (throughout the pages of the site).
- If not, then you install and activate the Front End submission plugin
- Go to wordpress.org, or simply go to the plugin directly https://wordpress.org/plugins/frontend-uploader/, https://wordpress.org/plugins/pipe-video-recorder/
- Download it and upload on your site (you can read the instructions on how to install and activate a plugin if you scroll up)
- Install and activate this plugin, go to the settings and implement necessary features.
- Use the button to open account for 20 users, follow the instructions to open account.
- For each account, upload 3-5 videos
- Remember to complete their profile with images/profile pictures etc.
- Do this for all the 20 users
And to the most important question on your mind? How do they make money? That brings us to the next and final phase of this tutorial.
How to make money from a porn and adult website
Money making and revenue generation from an adult niche online business is quite different from the normal ways of monetization.
There are four major ways to make money from this niche, and they are:
- Subscription based model
- Affiliate marketing – affiliation with cam models
- Direct advertisements (medically related companies)
- How to force viewers to pay and you make the money
Step 10 (1)
Subscription based model – How to implement it and collect money
Xvideos, pornhub etc. all offer a subscription based model of making money, but they go a step forward in this kind of monetization means.
Their subscription model is based on high quality high definition (HD) videos that cannot be viewed just by being a visitor or registered user.
In this case, you are expected to pay monthly fee which is recurring (i.e. you are charged automatically every month); it is a win –win solution for both the site and the customer paying for this services.
You can also implement the same. You need to make use of a subscription based payment plugin. Just check the wordpress.org repository for such plugin, install and activate it. However, the plugin may be a premium version where you will need to buy it. Or simply, go to google.com, and search for such plugin.
This model is where the real money making is; I encourage you to try out this model.
Step 10 (2)
If you look at xvideos, xhamster, pornhub e.t.c. very well, you will see different adverts, at the header and also at the sidebars. These are all affiliate marketing advertisements.
You can also do this by being an affiliate of this companies; you simply send traffic to their site and if the visitor from your site to the affiliate site either buys product or sign up for something, then you get commission.
This model is good because you are not bothering yourself with payment processing like the earlier model.
Recommended adult affiliate companies to join includes:
- Cam companies
- Medical sales of Viagra etc
I recommend you join these companies and you will be surprised that to make USD100 per day is as easy as a, b, c.
The most popular affiliate company is charturbate; they work like a cam company.
Step 10 (3)
Direct advertisements (medically related companies)
In addition, you can also offer direct advertisements to medical related companies selling or providing fertility services.
Example of such is Viagra; the best way is simply by being their affiliate. Go online, do your research and join these companies.
Go to shareasale and search for medically related products/companies and sign up to be their affiliates.
These are the proven ways to make money with a porn niche site.
It is my firm opinion that this tutorial is really helpful to you. If you enjoy the details and guidelines, kindly do me a favor.
- Link back to this article from other parts of the internet (e.g. your own blog, article, mentions, Wikipedia etc.)
- Bookmark it on your phone and web browsers; it will be easy for you to come back and read more if you bookmark it
- Help me like it on Facebook; share it on twitter and Google+
NB: If you need any help, feel free to reach me through the contact page.