7 Facts On How To Open A News Blog
News Blog Vs News Website
Owning, running and opening a news blog is one of the best things that has ever happened to me; it also helped gave birth to my other niche blogs out there, including this present one, HaceWeb.
Please know and understand that there is a big difference between a blog and running a website in this niche, you can read more about the latter here on how to start and run it.
When you become a news blogger, you are basically a library keeper and owner where you share, post and update latest happenings in the world of news to your readers, subscribers and viewers. It is much more of a personal thing where you are the alpha and omega.
So, for a local news blog, your budget is low and you are well able to keep it efficient and of course run it from the comfort of your house/room.
You have to be experienced to run the website version, however, for a blog, you do not have to be a journalist or an experienced media personality in this niche media industry (though, if you are, it is an added advantage and it means you have your target audience already). To be honest with you, most successful blogs out in this niche are people with zero experience in this industry; all what they had is just the passion and zeal to either expose the wrongs in the society/country, share their feelings and/or probably run it as an entertainment or gossip sort of news niche.
Domain Name And Blog Name
One of the first things that kills a business is the fact that people or the founders did not really imagine how successful it may turn out to be. In essence, they left out vital information and planning from day one. One of such is the name you will be calling your business entity, in this case, your blog.
I quite understand that you are at a cross-road; you are confused on the name to use and as such, I have penciled down some quick guidelines on picking a successful name that will resonate very well with your long term set objectives and branding opportunities.
Go for a name that stands out, for example, this blog you are currently reading is ‘haceweb’; thats the name of my blog. Both to me and people reading it, I am sure that the name is unique. It is short, unique and has great tendency for a long term advantage, branding and benefits. It is the same name I used on all my social media accounts including twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
That is the same concept you should use in picking a name and it is the same name you will use in registering on the internet, a technical name called domain name registration.
A quick guide to do that is to first of all check for the name you are anticipating in your mind; to do that, go to bluehost checker form below and see if its okay and available. I pray luck should be your friend to see it is available because people are always on the net doing the same thing you are trying to do. so, do not waste time if you get a domain name that is available for you to use, register it quickly.
If you get the domain name registration name successfully, you will be guided on the next step. However, follow me as I explain in full details how to go about everything from A-Z.
News Blog Template ( WordPress themes)
Web Hosting of the Domain Name
With this tutorial, you are gradually becoming a web master because of the step by step guidelines I am teaching you. Your journey is actually just starting, registering of the domain name is first, however, without putting the name on the internet and people seeing it, it means it is useless.
This is where you have to host the domain name and that brings us to this next step.
By hosting the name you want to use for your news blog, it means you are part of the world wide web and your blog can be seen and accessed all over the world ( of course, your locality first and foremost).
To get the hosting done is easy, Bluehost will guide you right from the domain name search ( explained above) to the hosting of the domain name. The displayed pictures will guide you also on the brief installation ( and this means anybody, even a newbie can get it all done).
Search for domain name
If successful ( or otherwise), as seen below
With this offer, you will pay approximately USD3 per month
Create your account immediately if available!!
Chose your preferred hosting package
when running a news blog, the secret of getting it becoming successful is your ability to drive traffic ( human visitors) to the blog ( details on this is discussed further below). This is one of the reasons why I am recommending Bluehost hosting company because you can receive thousands and even millions of traffic to your site with a very cheap hosting.
Aside from this, the following are brief reasons why Bluehost is excellent for you as a starter in the news portal niche:
- They offer the cheapest hosting package in the industry ( most other companies charge from around USD25 per month)
- Their infrastructure is strong and they offer latency even when their is unexpected spike in traffic to your blog
- They are reliable and economically friendly ( being around for more than 20 years)
- The domain fee will be waived immediately you register it and also sign up for the hosting.
For your hosting, Use my link below and get started for just $2.95/month (63% off your hosting plan) from Bluehost AND also get a free domain name registration
How To Set Up A News Blog
Bluehost makes it easy; the best way I can explain everything to you is by following the images ( pictures) below and also the ensuing video.
From the above explanations, just continue with the hosting registration, you will be prompted to chose a password, just follow the displayed pictorial guideline on the registration/configuration screen.
Pick a design ( or ignore, you are going to use the ready made news template I mentioned earlier above)
Click on start building
You will be brought to the dashboard ( shown above, which is the engine room and brain) of every design, settings and configuration you want to do.
if you click launch, it will take you straight to the ‘nameofyournewsblog.com’ and of course it will be blank. The next steps will teach you how to set up everything and then get started writing.
please note the following important task ( information)
- Check your email, you will be sent your bluehost login details ( keep it safe)
- During the above steps, you will be given your WordPress login details ( WordPress is the software that you will be asked to chose for the installation and set up). When you agree, you will be given your WordPress login and this login is your username and password ( please keep it safe also)
- The username is your email address you used to sign up ( in most cases) and of course, you have to chose your own password)
- You will need your WordPress logins to update your blog, write stories, upload media stuffs, design and configure. However, your Bluehost login is not needed except for when you want to make payment to the company or do something highly technical.
- To access your WordPress dashboard, just go to your browser ( chrome, mozilla, IE etc) and type ‘ yournewsblog.com/wp-admin ( please note, I am using yournewsblog.com as an example for your domain name). Once you click enter, you will be presented with the login box as seen above
- Type your username and password, once successfully login, you will now be shown your dashboard and from here, real work has just started.
Configuration /Plugins Installation
Step 7 (1)
Step 7 (2)
Step 7 (3)
Getting credible news sources and references
The following are proven tricks I use to get news sources, trending topics and stories from around my locality, community and also around the world.
- Subscribe to latest updates on most companies websites, politician/sport/celebrity websites and press release sections
- Follow most companies, celebrities, politicians, businessmen on their social media accounts. Most of them posts update about life and next line of actions on social media. A very good example is Donald Trump, the present president of USA (he is a twitter addict, www.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump)
- Subscribe to most press releases
- Go to buzzsumo ( https://buzzsumo.com/)to get ideas on latest news and trending stories.
Buzzsumo is the top go to if you are looking for proven story and viral post ideas, I recommend you go the site and play around to get ample ideas of trending stories.
Write, Write And Publish
Without wasting much time, the next step is for you to start writing and publishing those stories and news updates. Doing that is easy, see the video and image guidelines below:
Lots of people complains that their news blog is not getting traffic or noticed; the problem from my experience is that you need to be posting news and stories regularly every 1 hour interval or at least by sharing/re-sharing your news posts on social media every 10 minutes interval!!.
Get registered and set up on Google
It is a beautiful thing when you see that you are nearly about to launch your news blog and make it successful..but… there are two more things you need to do.
- Get your news blog noticed on the search engines, starting with Google search console
- Submit it on Google News
The registration for Google search console ( or Google webmaster) can be viewed through the video below:
Google Indexing your news post
Please go back to your settings and ‘ uncheck the do not index this site’ option ; Please do that now!! After that, from your search console, follow the picture above and click on ‘fetch as Google’. This tool makes it easier and faster for Google to index your blog and posts immediately.
Please, remember to install these plugin, it is very useful for this purpose: ( https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/)
Starting a News blog – Promotion
After your news blog is online and you have started writing/publishing stories and news, it is important you promote them so that people will know about them.
Use Facebook and Twitter for Traffic
Naked truth: Without Facebook and twitter, your news blog is not going to be successful!!
With that said and done, it is important (not negotiable) you open a Facebook page. To do that,
- Go to Facebook.com, scroll down and click on Page (or rather if you have a Facebook account, you can simply open a Facebook page for your business).
- Create a page for your news website ( remember to use the name of your site, I made mention of this important point earlier)
- Create Facebook Ads to promote your posts
Read Neil Patel: Beginners guide to facebook ads that convert
I personally use twitter and to me, twitter is far more effective than Facebook. I recommend the following guidelines and tools.
Go to www.twitter.com and sign up using the name of your news blog. To grow your followers, I recommend you use the Manageflitter App.
If you grow your follower diligently and non-stop on a daily basis, I will not be surprised if your followers becomes 30,000 in two (2) months
Submit to News Press releases
Sign up with the following press releases and submit your news stories there:
Free Press Release sites:
Premium (Paid) Press Release sites:
how to start a successful news blog and make money
The following are proven ways to make money on your news blog:
- Google AdSense
- Direct advertisements
- Press releases