You want to become a political blogger? These are the steps to take if you want to start a political blog, make money and become popular.
I do not run a political blog, I manage a news blog and because of that, I often write and publish posts on political events, policies, stories, trending political stories and updates.
7 Easy Steps to open a political blog
- Buy a domain name and host the domain name
- Chose WordPress software blogging platform
- Set up a simple design with WordPress themes (political web templates)
- Configure and install
- Write, write and publish articles, posts, stories, news
- Use social media to share your posts, articles, posts etc.
- Install email subscription form to get emails of visitors
Before I start explaining how to go about what I listed above, I think it is important I share some factors you need to do as you are about to go on this online niche.
How do I get up to date political news and stories?
One of the most daunting challenges when launching out is on how to get those stories because of the effect on two major issues:
- how fast you are able to publish them and get it out to your readers before other political blogs and website does so
- How authentic i.e how original is the news/updates or story
But the good news is that the following are proven sources on where to get real, original information. Check below;
- Target and follow the twitter account of most politicians, political parties and your local leaders
- Subscribe to their press releases
- if they have a website or blog, subscribe using your email ( this means anytime they publish any update, you will be the first to get it)
- Another place to check for trending political news or stories is buzzsumo; for viral ideas, buzzsumo is my number destination!!
What is the purpose?
Blogging is serious business, except you are just doing it for fun. Doing blogging for fun does not make sense because:
- It will consume your time
- It will consume your money (for a start e.g. for domain name)
- It will consume your concentration and focus
So, before setting out, you should have a purpose of why you want to launch your own political blog. Your purpose will guide you in the right path and trajectory.
So, think about this!!
Expect no money in one year after launch
From all forms of blogging niches out there, political blogging is the least profitable in terms of making money. It is because all major forms of monetizing your blog in this niche does not fully fit in. What can work very well for you if your aim is to make good money is to probably transform the blog into a news or website of a sort and you continue publishing more of political contents.
If you decide to go in this way, then the use of Google AdSense and some paid advertisement from probably political parties will help your cause.
However, no matter what, expect no money in the first one year.
Are you passion driven?
I am of the opinion that your true passion should be the main reason why you want to launch out. The thing is, you are not going to make money in the first one year, it will consume your time etc.; so if that genuine passion is not there right from the beginning, I honestly advise that you drop this project now.
Passion is everything; your passion in becoming a political blogger is what will even keep you going in the face of adversity, challenges, court order, harassment, intimidation etc.
I mentioned those factors above because you are going to face them!!
Have a plan
You are not going to make money in the first one year, it is going to take your time, it is going to take your concentration etc.; this is where it is essential you have a solid plan on ground before running a political blog.
Allow me to explain:
It is imperative to have a short term plan and long term plain; Part of the long term plan includes:
- For example buying the domain name and web hosting registration for more than one year ( at least go for 2 years and above)
- Setting aside some money that you can conveniently spend each month for (e.g. Facebook advertising, press release, writers (optional) etc.). Have at least a budget for this that will cover 1 year.
Part of the short term plan include:
- You cannot do it alone if you are looking for efficiency and effectiveness. That is why I recommend you get someone on board with you right from the beginning. The best option is your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband etc. they will assist and also back you up.